Blackberry On The PC

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Blackberry On The PC

Post by Bigaldoc »

I guess this is hardware (Blackberry smartphone). Yesterday I finally decided to give up on AT&T mobile phone and switch to Verizon. I won't bore you with why unless someone asks. However, in the course of the transaction I was told that Verizon doesn't support my Palm Treo 680 which has been a satisfactory device for me. Aside from phone, I use it for contacts, calendar and memos 95% of the time, with a little camera and music use thrown in occasionally.

In switching to a Blackberry, of course I can no longer "synch" the smartphone to the Palm Desktop software which DOES have contacts, calendar and memos. Truth is, I did most of the data entry on the PC and then synch'd it to the handheld.

I did manage, with the help of the Verizon guy to get my contacts copied from the Treo to the Blackberry and my VERY important Bluetooth hearing aid setup. So, I'm making and receiving calls fine, and reading like a madman to learn the new device.

The question for Lounge persons familiar with Blackberry is as follows. The BB "Desktop" software does NOT have calendar, contacts or memos included per se. So, again following instructions, I went to its Synch menu and setup the above items. But the only "on computer" choices I had were TEXT (useless) or YAHOO. Since I'm a long time user of Yahoo and have an account there, I thought that's better than nothing. During setup, it asked for my Yahoo ID and password.

The problem is that, after running the synch, going into my Yahoo account I can't find the Blackberry contacts or calendar. I can find the EMAIL contacts I have for Yahoo email and I can find a calendar page but it doesn't have my small amount of test appointments.

Can anyone advise what I'm missing, please? As I've said, I AM RTFM'ing but there ain't much in the PDF about the desktop. Thanks...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Blackberry On The PC

Post by Bigaldoc »

OK, so there ain't any Loungers who use Blackberry, huh?

There MUST be a computer PIM program that will synch with Blackberry but I just haven't found one yet.

I did manage to get the BB desktop program to synch to my Yahoo account, so I'm making a little progress but would much rather have something on the desktop PC rather then depend on Yahoo for my editing.

Mebbe I'll go over to WS and make a post there as much as I hate to do that!

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

Al, you need BB Desktop Manager, here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/d ... top_pc.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that what you have? What are you trying to Synch with?
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Goshute wrote:Al, you need BB Desktop Manager, here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/d ... top_pc.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is that what you have? What are you trying to Synch with?
Thanx John. I already have the BB software as I said above. It will ONLY synch with Yahoo. Evidently it doesn't "find" anything else on my PC that's acceptable.

StoneChucker
StarLounger

Post by StoneChucker »

I use a Blackberry Al, however it's setup on a BES, or Blackberry Enterprise Server.

The BES is setup to connect with my mail file on the Domino server. Sorry!

Christopher

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

It looks like I'm coming up empty for a desktop PIM for my Blackberry. I found this at the Blackberry forums:
    • BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.5 to 5.0.1 supports the following organizer applications:

* ASCII
      * Novell® GroupWise® 6.5 and 7.0
      * IBM® Lotus Notes® 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 8.0
      * Microsoft® Outlook® XP/2002, 2003, 2007
      * Microsoft® Outlook® Express 6
      * Windows® Vista™ Contacts
      * Yahoo!® (Mail Plus)
Presently I'm "getting by" with my online Yahoo account and managed to get my contacts synch'd between the handheld and Yahoo on the web. Yahoo is yielding an error on importing my Palm calendar which it claims to be able to do, so I have a support request active at Yahoo.Com. I'm not too hopeful, so I'm building and synch'ing my calendar, one week at a time! Yuck!

I might continue looking for a third-party app, but none is mentioned on the BB forums that I can find. The web site called "Crackberry.Com" somehow makes me nervous but I may have to give them another look.

stans
Lounger

Post by stans »

I have a blackberry, but I don't use the BB software, I use Outlook. I have outlook synced to comcast.net
The tech at the AT&T store set mine up for me. I use the BB network, and my understanding is, that there is a website you can log into and setup your email and sync settings.

But I always let them do it...sorry.