New printer req

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

New printer req

Post by Dave Davison »

Would appreciate the expert advice of loungers regarding the purchase of a reasonably priced printer that does the simple basics [Scan / Print]. The software for the Epson SX215 would not install after upgradng to W7 so the shop owner came and went through the installation process only to discover the Scanner works but the print function will not so -seeing investigation & possible repair can easy exceed the cost of a new one - I am going down the latter road. In the ball park figure of say £50 - £60 what model would anyone recommend please. :thankyou: Dave.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Re: New printer req

Post by jonwallace »

The Canon Pixma MG series printers get good reviews. Disclaimer: I have an MG5250 that I've had since 2011. It does the job and the inks are reasonable.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Would appreciate the expert advice of loungers regarding the purchase of a reasonably priced printer that does the simple basics [Scan / Print]. The software for the Epson SX215 would not install after upgradng to W7 so the shop owner came and went through the installation process only to discover the Scanner works but the print function will not so -seeing investigation & possible repair can easy exceed the cost of a new one - I am going down the latter road. In the ball park figure of say £50 - £60 what model would anyone recommend please. :thankyou: Dave.
I don't really have the need for a Super-Duper printer, so I've stuck with something in the HP line and have gotten decent results and product life span using HP.
I quick look at Amazon for HP scanner\printers showed many choices starting at $47.60 USD. (whatever that converts to in pounds?)
It all depends on just what you want the unit to do and what bells, gongs and whistles you need. Like buying a car. Do you need automatic hatch doors, seat warmers and an entertainment center for the back seat passengers? :grin:
Don't let the salesman talk you into all this stuff.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might try:

HP Envy 4500
Epson Expression Home XP-312
Canon PIXMA MX495

and related models
Best wishes,
Hans

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

I'll second John's recommendation of the Canon MG series. Earlier this year I bought two MG6620 printers for our library volunteer group, and personally I use an MX860 that's over 6 years old. Both of these are higher priced than your target, but Hans's suggestion of the MX495 is in the right range.

I've always liked the print quality of Canon printers. The Canon drivers are rock solid, and the other software is well designed and easy to use. Also, I prefer the multiple ink tank design over the all-colors-in-one-cartridge design -- it's vanishingly rare that you'll use up all the colors at the same time.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the information, just did an on-line search and noticed PC World is selling the Canon PIXMA MG 5750 model for just under £50, whilst Argus are charging just under £70 for the same model. Epson Expression Home XP435 comes @£50 and is wireless; assuming this means no cables at all! What are the benefits & are wireless models reliable? Cheers Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jay Freedman wrote:I'll second John's recommendation of the Canon MG series. Earlier this year I bought two MG6620 printers for our library volunteer group, and personally I use an MX860 that's over 6 years old. Both of these are higher priced than your target, but Hans's suggestion of the MX495 is in the right range.

I've always liked the print quality of Canon printers. The Canon drivers are rock solid, and the other software is well designed and easy to use. Also, I prefer the multiple ink tank design over the all-colors-in-one-cartridge design -- it's vanishingly rare that you'll use up all the colors at the same time.
Just an aside, Jay. I have an HP 6000 series and it also has 4 separate ink cartridges. In my use, the black ink is always the first to go, even using the larger capacity tubs. :thumbup: Definite PLUS.
BOB

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

We have both an HP6000 series and a Canon PIXMA. The HP seems just a bit more user friendly (based on wife's usage) and gets a bit more use.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks for the information, just did an on-line search and noticed PC World is selling the Canon PIXMA MG 5750 model for just under £50, whilst Argus are charging just under £70 for the same model. Epson Expression Home XP435 comes @£50 and is wireless; assuming this means no cables at all! What are the benefits & are wireless models reliable? Cheers Dave.
First requirement for a wireless printer is that you have a wireless router. Assuming you have one of them, you should be fine. We've had some of them (wireless printers) for a few years, without them failing once, in other words, yes they are reliable Dave. :thumbup:
Cheers, Claude.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Dave Davison wrote:Thanks for the information, just did an on-line search and noticed PC World is selling the Canon PIXMA MG 5750 model for just under £50, whilst Argus are charging just under £70 for the same model. Epson Expression Home XP435 comes @£50 and is wireless; assuming this means no cables at all! What are the benefits & are wireless models reliable? Cheers Dave.
I'm running the MX860 as a wireless, and it does quite well. The main benefit is that you can put the printer anywhere that's convenient. When it's wired-only, the printer has to be cabled to the computer, which means keeping it within a meter or two, or running a cable along (or inside) a wall. There's a third possibility, which is to cable the printer to your network router and give it an IP address (I think this might be a feature only of printers that can also be wireless, since they have to understand TCPIP).

Another advantage of having the printer on the network instead of directly connected to the computer is that you can use it from other computers (such as a laptop) elsewhere in the house, but not have to have the primary (sharing) computer turned on all the time.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Jay Freedman wrote:
I'm running the MX860 as a wireless, and it does quite well. The main benefit is that you can put the printer anywhere that's convenient. When it's wired-only, the printer has to be cabled to the computer, which means keeping it within a meter or two, or running a cable along (or inside) a wall. There's a third possibility, which is to cable the printer to your network router and give it an IP address (I think this might be a feature only of printers that can also be wireless, since they have to understand TCPIP).

Another advantage of having the printer on the network instead of directly connected to the computer is that you can use it from other computers (such as a laptop) elsewhere in the house, but not have to have the primary (sharing) computer turned on all the time.

Good points, all, Jay!

My wife uses an iPad Air and her iPhone and almost never uses a laptop or desktop system. The HP works perfectly for her with the iOS equipment as well as with the Win-based desktop that I use.

We've had both printers for several years and never a problem with either. Quite reliable devices.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the comments, purchased the Canon PIXMA MG 5750 knocked dow from £99 to £49.99 at Curries...Now all that remains is to get it working....Cheers Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi geniuses..........been trying for hours to get this Canon wireless printer set up and judging from the comments posted at this You Tube tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvIoauKJE8o it seems I might just have jumped out of the pan into the fire as many people are also grieved with the product & by what I see on You Tube, the cost of replacement inks is almost as much as the printer. Having previously only had Epson printers which were a doddle to set up using the included setup disc, I'm beginning to wish I had purchased the Epson model Hans suggested which was the same price. A genuine remote assistance contact would sure be most welcome right now. Going round in circles.... :confused3: Dave.
ps Printer not found...says the prompt message.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave,
Did you follow the last two steps on that menu?
BOB

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Bob...........sure did but so far I have not exceeded the nine hours that one writer had wrestled with the install. Have abandoned the on-line set up -as suggested in the instructions- and will try the disc also will connect the printer using the usb cabled which [states the instructions] can be easier than that of a wireless setup. Will feed back on results. Thanks all Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....and so it turned out to be, using the USB cable -instead of the wireless option - went like clockwork so as that's the way I've always had my printer set up, I'll leave it as it is. Could well be there was some glitch stopping the printer recognising the modem. Cheers Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Still on the PRINTER theme......can anyone recommend a supplier -preferably in the UK - who offers 100% reliable compatible cartridges that will not rejected by the printer and which can be purchased at reasonable cost. I used to get a full set for my Epson printer at <365ink.com> for £16 but note their charge for a full set of compaitbles for the Canon MG 5750 is £35. Another company I just came across is http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/ink-cart ... G5750.html which charges £21.97 for compatibles & £52.12 for Canon originals. :thankyou: in anticipation Dave.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

A quick disclaimer: I haven't used compatible inks since they gummed up my Canon S630 many moons ago. I know that printer ink is as expensive as Unicorn blood, but the peace of mind and added quality I have from branded ink is worth it.

Having said that, I have been known to spend hours hunting down the cheapest suppliers of genuine ink, and the last lot I bought was from Amazon (probably a reseller, but I can't remember offhand). The thing to remember about that is that to get the best deal, you sometimes have to mix and match pack types and check out individual cartridges vs bubble packs. If I have time on my hands, I've been known to spreadsheet it... :sad old git:
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

I have found that buying new printers (on special/sale) at times is cheaper than replacing cartridges. While it isn't ecologically feasible, it makes economic sense to me to buy two equal printers and recycle the empty one when the time comes.
Cheers, Claude.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

New printers often ship with only a small amount of ink, not full cartridges, so I'm not sure that is cheaper Claude.

I always buy ink from the printer manufacturer. My total annual ink bill is not so high that this is an issue, and I think that both print quality and printer reliability are better that way.
StuartR