Double-sided CDs

jmt356
SilverLounger

Double-sided CDs

Post by jmt356 »

I have CD-Rs that are silver on both sides. The 2 sides are virtually identical, but one of them has very subtle wavy yellow light reflections. Are these double-side CDs and if so, are they double-sided in the sense of both sides being silver or double-sided in the sense of both sides being writeable?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Double-sided CDs

Post by HansV »

Why don't you try it? You'll find out soon enough if you insert the CD into the drive one side up, and then the other side up.

(And doesn't the packaging say anything about it?)
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I have a pack of these. I think that they are just el-cheapo (technical term) ones that I got in a pound shop. Too cheap to print anything on the upside, obviously. I don't think I've ever used one...
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Attempting to write on the second side returned an error. Apparently, a "double-sided" cd is simply one whose top side is the same color as the bottom (writable) side. Thus, a double-sided cd whose bottom (writable) side is black will also have a black top. One whose bottom (writeable) side is silver will also have a silver top. I find the term "double-sided cd" to be confusing as it seems to imply that both sides serve the same function and are thus writable.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:Attempting to write on the second side returned an error. Apparently, a "double-sided" cd is simply one whose top side is the same color as the bottom (writable) side. Thus, a double-sided cd whose bottom (writable) side is black will also have a black top. One whose bottom (writeable) side is silver will also have a silver top. I find the term "double-sided cd" to be confusing as it seems to imply that both sides serve the same function and are thus writable.
Well, they DO have two sides but only one is useable, of course. I would determine which of the side are writable and the get the black marker pen out and label the unwritable side.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

The CD-R disks may be LightScribe CDs. These are the media used in LightScribe CD/DVD burners to burn a user created label on the CD/DVD. The technology was developed by HP about 10 years ago but never really caught on.

Added later: I just checked my DVD burner and discovered that it supports Labelflash, a competing technology.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.