When You Need to Replace Your Surge Protector

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: When You Need to Replace Your Surge Protector

Post by Argus »

John Gray wrote:I have yet to see any scientific paper which tests the efficacy or the requirement for surge protectors in countries which don't have significant lightning problems and which have well-regulated power distribution systems, like in the UK.
You could, however, need some pavement protectors. :grin: (Good grief, exploding manholes.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobArch2 wrote:
PJ_in_FL wrote:... My preference is to use Uninterruptible Power Sources (UPS) as the main line of defense, in addition to surge strips. I try to find 600VA UPS on sale to keep the cost down, but I have all the desktop systems, monitors and external drives on a UPS. Even then, I still have the UPS plugged into a higher quality surge strip...
I have two APC UPS units protecting two different environments. The instructions for the use of those devices state that they should not be put into a chain with other like devices but rather connect directly to the wall outlet. Now, I am not an electrical engineer and so, I follow instructions as defined in the user guide. I am certainly not challenging your knowledge and setup but would be interested to find out why you connect your UPS to another surge protector. (Just a curious mind)
The reasoning is to suppress the surge with a simple MOV device before it hits the UPS, which also contains circuitry that can be damaged by surges. They try to protect the circuitry, but I'm a "belt and suspenders" guy, although I don't wear suspenders. :laugh:

The reason I'd guess they recommend connecting directly to the wall socket is to lessen the chance of one of the legs or the ground going open, which would be more likely to happen due to the possibility of the connection inside the strip failing. Without the ground reference, the UPS regulation is unstable. Also, they could expect a wide variety of extension cords being used if they didn't recommend against it, including some that just barely qualify as cords! The problems the voltage drop across a cheap extension cord, in addition to the fire hazard, is not a liability the manufacturer wants to add to their risk. All the strips I use are rated at least twice the maximum load I expect to every have on them, and usually much higher.

Just conjecture as power supplies aren't my specialty, but I did get the chance to work utilities for two summers while in college. That was in Kentucky, which has enough of a lightning problem (think tornado alley!) to give me a healthy respect for power surges!
:flee:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

PJ_in_FL wrote:Just conjecture as power supplies aren't my specialty, but I did get the chance to work utilities for two summers while in college. That was in Kentucky, which has enough of a lightning problem (think tornado alley!) to give me a healthy respect for power surges!
:flee:
Don't you now live in the Tampa Bay area? That is the lightning capital of the world and not immune to tornadoes. When we lived in Clearwater, we occasionally had debris land in our yard from tornadoes around us. We had everything plugged into surge protectors and still I lost several modems and one PC.

One word: Badgers :evilgrin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

BobH wrote:...
Don't you now live in the Tampa Bay area? That is the lightning capital of the world and not immune to tornadoes. When we lived in Clearwater, we occasionally had debris land in our yard from tornadoes around us. We had everything plugged into surge protectors and still I lost several modems and one PC.

One word: Badgers :evilgrin:
Yes, I'm in the Lightning Capital of the World! :electric:

Modems were a real problem, especially in the "early days" when most modems were plugged directly into the phone network, which happily transferred any pulses and surges that the phone network didn't mind into the modem.

As the phone networks were primarily electro-mechanical switching systems, and the electronics were all on the other end and protected, only BIG surges were surpressed, and by slow gas discharge tubes. "Small" surges were conducted and any above a few dozen volts were enough to fry modems and PC mother boards. :meltdown: There was almost no protection from that direction. Think the USS Enterprise taking phaser fire with shields down in "The Wrath of Khan". A few clamping diodes were the protection devices on those inputs, and when they failed (most times failing short instead of open) then the modem and the motherboard self-destructs with direct paths from power to ground.

I'm fortunate to have NO phone lines to my computer (and none to the house), and my broadband is Verizon's FIOS, which is fiber (non-conductive!) up to the network interface box on my outside wall. I could run the coax through a strip that adds network surge protection to the protection on the power lines, but as Verizon owns the router it's not worth it. Most of my devices connect wirelessly, so no surges will get to the end-user device even if a killer surge hits the router. The two PCs I run hard wire networks from the router DO have the network routed through the surge protection in the UPSs.

And, in response to YOUR word: :censored: :wartgun:

:crybaby:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:Back in my head pounding "Basic Electricity" days, I had one heck of a time trying to understand joules...
I'm not sure whether this is a hi-jack attempt or mis-use of jump-start cables, but ...

Guardian Science weekly podcast
1m40s “ … with its energy doubled to 13 tera-electron-volts …”
2m45s “ … this is [low intensity] injection energy, so 450 Gev …”
3m54s “ … up to six and a half Tev … we end up with something like 340 mega-joules per beam – that’s equivalent to a TGV going 140 Km/hour …” although he doesn’t say how many carriages are in the train, so that could affect things (grin!)
He who plants a seed, plants life.