When You Need to Replace Your Surge Protector

Rudi
gamma jay

When You Need to Replace Your Surge Protector

Post by Rudi »

Surge protectors are rated in joules, and this tells you how much protection they’re desigend to provide. For example, you might get a 1000 joule surge protector. This is a measure of a total amount of energy a surge protector can absorb before the protection wears out and it stops absorbing any extra voltage.
It’s difficult to tell exactly when a surge protector loses those protective powers and just functions as a power strip. But, if you’re still using an old surge protector you purchased ten years ago, it’s probably long past time to replace it.
It's hard to believe in this day and age that there is no more accurate way to determine if one's surge protectors need replacing. How can one effectively measure joules?

http://www.howtogeek.com/212375/why-and ... protector/
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: When You Need to Replace Your Surge Protector

Post by John Gray »

I have yet to see any scientific paper which tests the efficacy or the requirement for surge protectors in countries which don't have significant lightning problems and which have well-regulated power distribution systems, like in the UK.

Consequently I consider them rather like snake-oil and FUD - but would be pleased to be proved wrong!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

John Gray wrote:I have yet to see any scientific paper which tests the efficacy or the requirement for surge protectors in countries which don't have significant lightning problems and which have well-regulated power distribution systems, like in the UK.

Consequently I consider them rather like snake-oil and FUD - but would be pleased to be proved wrong!
Come on down to Florida, the Lightning Capital of the World, then you'll think differently!

I was inside a contract manufacturing facility where I was working back in my test engineering days when lightning hit the main power input panel on the outside of the building. We had, for the time, state of the art customized power protection installed that included high voltage gas discharge tubes, high-capacity iron core inductors (big rods of iron with very heavy wire wrapped around several times), and high capacity MOVs. The MOVs blew out totally, creating a very loud bang and lots of smoke, and most of the breakers tripped, but the equipment, and especially my test equipment, all survived due to the surge pulse rise time being limited by the iron core inductors and the remaining energy being shorted first by the MOVs (fast reaction time) then by the gas discharge (slow reaction time).

I've seen first hand what happens without those mitigation strategies in place!

Very cheap, and early surge protectors relied on MOVs across the mains, but they either degrade or are completely destroyed depending on the energy being shunted. However, there is no reliable test to tell what level of degradation has occurred, other than hitting them with a high-energy pulse with a voltage over their breakdown limit to see if they work. This can sometimes be a destructive test, and certainly degrades the operational capacity, so we mainly tested that the part wasn't shorted out when we tested them at all.

Gas discharge was the gold standard at the time for high tolerance circuitry, such as the telephone network, which is very robust compared to modern electronics. It's slow reaction time wasn't a problem for the phone company as they were just protecting their network and didn't worry about what the customer had connected to it, thus lots of early computers were fried by surges coming down the phone line into the modems instead of surges through the power lines.

New technologies have come along, but I'm not up to speed on the latest, but this is my two cents worth on surge protection in the prehistoric eras. :laugh:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Nice detail in your post PJ. Your post is referencing on an industrial level. It would be great to know if there is some form of testing if a household surge protector needs replacing.
Regards,
Rudi

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

PJ - I refer you to the first paragraph of my post.
I am well aware of how much lightning parts of the US has, but this is fairly rare in the UK, as are mains power spikes!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

John, is it the lightning that is a rare occurrence or are the mains better protected?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Both, Bob!
John Gray

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Just how do you determine the mains are better protected?

In the power distribution systems I worked on in Kentucky as an engineering intern during over summers while in college, every on-pole transformer had lightning arrestors, every pole a ground wire from the top of the pole to under the bottom of the pole as a pseudo-lightning rod, and capacitor banks were regularly distributed, primarily for power factor correction, but did provide some low-pass filtering, too.

Just curious as, with most of my prior engineering endeavors, it's "been a few years".
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Rudi, as I stated, the MOVs are (or were) virtually untestable and if other technologies are in use, I'm not aware of the test methodology. After going back and reading the article (since I didn't read it before my first reply), as the article indicates MOVs are still the common dissipation component, use the "sniff test" for the inexpensive surge strips. If you can smell that "magic smoke" smell, time to replace.

My preference is to use Uninterruptible Power Sources (UPS) as the main line of defense, in addition to surge strips. I try to find 600VA UPS on sale to keep the cost down, but I have all the desktop systems, monitors and external drives on a UPS. Even then, I still have the UPS plugged into a higher quality surge strip. Hey, I live in Florida and lightning can happen here on "cloudless" days! When the UPS battery goes bad after about 3-4 years, it's time to replace.

I don't plug the laptops into UPS. The power supplies and the battery charging circuits provide a good level of protection when plugged into a surge strip.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Back in my head pounding "Basic Electricity" days, I had one heck of a time trying to understand joules and what they were good for! Over the years I guess I finally absorbed enough to make peace with the term.
I found this little gem and offer it for the Loungers to muse over.

One joule in everyday life represents approximately:

the energy required to lift a small apple (with a mass of approximately 100 g) vertically through one metre of air.
the energy released when that same apple falls one metre to the ground.
the energy required to accelerate a 1 kg mass at 1 m·s−2 through a 1 m distance in space.
the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 g of water by 0.24 K.[6]
the typical energy released as heat by a person at rest every 1/60 second (approximately 17 ms).[7]
the kinetic energy of a 50 kg human moving very slowly (0.2 m/s or 0.72 km/h).
the kinetic energy of a 56 g tennis ball moving at 6 m/s (22 km/h).[8]
the kinetic energy of an object with mass 1 kg moving at √2 ≈ 1.4 m/s.
The amount of electricity required to light a 1 watt LED for 1 s.

Since the joule is also a watt-second and the common unit for electricity sales to homes is the kW·h (kilowatt-hour), a kW·h is thus 1000 (kilo) watt × 3600 seconds = 3.6 MJ (megajoules)

To really get into it:
So There :scratch: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The smell test PJ. No quite scientific, but I can trust my sniffer and I can see it working. :grin:
Only problem is....what does magic smoke smell like? Sweet, pungent, apples, burnt rubber???

TX for that list Viking. It earns you a joule in your crown.
One question: I can understand explosives releasing energy, but how does a falling apple release energy?
Is it measured in its downward momentum (as in kinetic energy) or in the force when colliding with the floor?
Regards,
Rudi

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

PJ_in_FL wrote:Just how do you determine the mains are better protected?
I don't think I said anything about the mains distribution system being 'better protected', just that there was less lightning in the UK than in the US!
John Gray

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

John, sorry. I saw your reply to Bob's "better protected" but you had said "better regulated". Not sure what that means but the lack of lightning in the UK to test the theory is the real key!

As Bob is aware, in Texas if the lightning doesn't get you the tornadoes will! Haven't come up with a good "surge" protector for the 300 MPH winds. :flee:
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Rudi, "magic smoke" smell is definitely akin to burnt electronics. It's perhaps similar to a mix of burnt rubber and burnt plastic, since lots of electronics parts have plastic housing.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Magic! TX. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

It's definitely burnt out! Time for a new surge protector!
Burnt.JPG
Blasted Texas lightning again! :groan: :sad:
BOB

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Yep :laugh:
You don't even have to put your nose to that. The visuals are more than convincing!!
Regards,
Rudi

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:... One joule in everyday life represents approximately: ....
Good stuff!
Thanks Bob :clapping:

(You thought I was going to write "a jewel of a post", didn't you?!!???)
He who plants a seed, plants life.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
viking33 wrote:... One joule in everyday life represents approximately: ....
Good stuff!
Thanks Bob :clapping:

(You thought I was going to write "a jewel of a post", didn't you?!!???)
Oh well, One man's joule is another man's jewel :innocent:
( or is it the other way around? )
BOB

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

PJ_in_FL wrote:... My preference is to use Uninterruptible Power Sources (UPS) as the main line of defense, in addition to surge strips. I try to find 600VA UPS on sale to keep the cost down, but I have all the desktop systems, monitors and external drives on a UPS. Even then, I still have the UPS plugged into a higher quality surge strip...
I have two APC UPS units protecting two different environments. The instructions for the use of those devices state that they should not be put into a chain with other like devices but rather connect directly to the wall outlet. Now, I am not an electrical engineer and so, I follow instructions as defined in the user guide. I am certainly not challenging your knowledge and setup but would be interested to find out why you connect your UPS to another surge protector. (Just a curious mind)
Regards,
Bob