Video Card choices?

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Video Card choices?

Post by Pilgrim »

After getting nowhere with EVGA, whose products I have used exclusively in all new builds and replacements for clients and myself, to resolve an issue with a defective GeForce 7600 GT (lifetime warranty), which they agreed to RMA but with restrictive terms, I am looking for another video card to replace it with. I've searched and researched video cards until I dream about them and can't get anywhere as far as making a choice between them. So, I'm asking for opinions/advice from those of you who may know about video cards, doubtless more than I do. As a bit of helpful information, I am NOT.... NOT a gamer... don't have any and don't ever intend to get any. :lol: But I do need to take into consideration what future applications will be demanding, e.g., I do some graphic and web design and how video display might develop and demand, e.g., DirectX.

Here are the current contenders:

MSI N240GT-MD1G/D5 GeForce 240

SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5

ASUS EAH5670/DI/512MD Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit GDDR5

ASUS EN9800GT/DI/512MD3 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit DDR3

PNY XLR8 VCG98GTEE1XEB GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3

GIGABYTE GV-N98TGR-512I GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

EVGA 512-P3-N987-TR GeForce 9800 GT HDMI 512MB 256-bit DDR3
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Video Card choices?

Post by HansV »

Oh dear...

Discussions between fans of NVidia GeForce and ATI Radeon video cards often become very heated.

I can't help you, but I'd like to ask all who respond to remain polite. Thanks in advance!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Jeff,

The key question here is what do you want to use the PC for. Depending on whether you want to play high end games, watch HD video, etc. you will get different advice.
StuartR

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

StuartR wrote:The key question here is what do you want to use the PC for. Depending on whether you want to play high end games, watch HD video, etc. you will get different advice.
Stuart,

The answer to your question is to be found in my original post. There I stated: "As a bit of helpful information, I am NOT.... NOT a gamer... don't have any and don't ever intend to get any. :laugh: But I do need to take into consideration what future applications will be demanding, e.g., I do some graphic and web design and how video display might develop and demand, e.g., DirectX." I could add that I have only dabbled with video once and only once and don't anticipate doing so again, although it is possible. And the same goes for watching HD video. I seriously doubt that will happen but who knows? :shrug:
Jeff

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You ought to read Best Graphics Cards For The Money: April 2010 : April Updates at Tom's Hardware. As for a particular vendor, I can say I've had good luck with Sapphire, ASUS, & Gigabyte. When I decide on a GPU I shop price & warranty. I'm not wedded to any one OEM. IMO, you are going to have good & bad experiences with them all. I seems to be a matter of who you are lucky enough to contact.

Joe
Joe

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Joe,

Thanks for the link. It REALLY helped in making a decision which I finally made. Methinks for my limited needs and for the price I went with THIS ONE.
Jeff

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Pilgrim wrote:Joe,

Thanks for the link. It REALLY helped in making a decision which I finally made. Methinks for my limited needs and for the price I went with THIS ONE.
Jeff,
That sounds like a good choice and a good price. AS Hans mentioned the debate between Nvidia and ATI Radeon has been an ongoing one and even with the brandings Gigabyte or ASUS or Sapphire or such, it still comes down to what chip they use. NVidia or ATI by most.
Personally, I have used both types and I really can't say that one impresses me more than the other. Currently I'm using an ATI Radeon with good results and no problems. Whatever type you get, just try to get one with plenty of Video RAM. The one you are thinking about has 1Gig, so that's a plus.
Another consideration is whether they use a cooling fan or a passive heat sink.
Since I have plenty of cooling fans in the box ( 7 ), I would probably opt for the passive heat sink, next time around.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

viking33 wrote:That sounds like a good choice and a good price. AS Hans mentioned the debate between Nvidia and ATI Radeon has been an ongoing one and even with the brandings Gigabyte or ASUS or Sapphire or such, it still comes down to what chip they use. NVidia or ATI by most.
Personally, I have used both types and I really can't say that one impresses me more than the other. Currently I'm using an ATI Radeon with good results and no problems. Whatever type you get, just try to get one with plenty of Video RAM. The one you are thinking about has 1Gig, so that's a plus.
Another consideration is whether they use a cooling fan or a passive heat sink.
Since I have plenty of cooling fans in the box ( 7 ), I would probably opt for the passive heat sink, next time around.
Bob,

Thanks for the confidence vote on my choice of card. It is mind boggling to shop for these things even though there are really only two types of chips offered among the myriad manufacturers. I think this card will serve me well since I don't play games. Whether or not I'll see any actual difference, improvement or otherwise compared to my current ailing EVGA GeForce 7600 GT KO remains to be seen. It is reported by many that this card does run very cool in comparison to most, e.g., 30º C. @ idle and rarely getting over 50º C. at full use. My current card is a steady 50º C. for most everything I do. But it would definitely be a plus if there is going to be a noticeable difference/improvement with this new card in the area of display quality. :grin:
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:... I think this card will serve me well since I don't play games...
Hoorah, Jeff! Good luck with it!