Trouble shooting Canon 3200F scanner

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Trouble shooting Canon 3200F scanner

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Purchased 5 years ago $50 reconditioned, worked flawlessly on the Big Beige Box, and for the past 3 years worked flawlessly on the Laptop. Despite my recent promises I have not reinstalled WinXP on the laptop, so the scanner has worked for about 15 months on this configuration.
Now it won't.
The CanonScan toolbox says that the scanner isn't hooked up; the scan button on the scanner is ineffectual.
1.JPG
I've tried several tricks to no avail and seek experiments that might be performed:
1. Rebooted, natch.
2. Used RevoUninstaller to do a level-4 pass, rebooted. Reinstalled from CD. No good.
3. Swapped the cable for the HP2600n printer; the printer cable won't fit in the scanner, but the scanner cable fits in the printer and a page is printed, so I figure the USB/square plug cable is OK.
4. The scanner light is on when I lift the hood, so power is getting in there.
5. Tried plugging the USB plug into each of the 5 USB sockets on the laptop, to no avail.

I have several options still open to me, amongst them:
A. Reformat the Laptop and reinstall everything; it's way past due, I know
B. Re-Install on the Big Beige Box and be prepared to wait 15 minutes for a scan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Trouble shooting Canon 3200F scanner

Post by BobH »

If you're having trouble shooting, I'd suggest a 12 ga. with number 6 shot from a distance of about 6 feet. :grin:

Sounds like you're way ahead of me with the troubleshooting.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:I'd suggest a 12 ga. with number 6 shot from a distance of about 6 feet.
I was tempted to respond "DON'T TEMPT ME!", but realized soon enough that at $10 p.a. for my first scanner, ever, it has been a faithful little beast.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Not the same model, Chris, I have an 8400F and had the exact same error when I first installed it. In my case a reboot would usually fix it temporarily but soon (the next time I tried to use the scanner) I'd get the same error.

Someone in our "old" Lounge suggested the power control in ALL the Device Manager "root hubs" like this:
2010-03-08_152617.png
I haven't had a problem with the 8400F since that time. Worth a look?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bigaldoc wrote:... suggested the power control in ALL the Device Manager "root hubs" like this:... Worth a look?
Kinda wish I hadn't (sheepish grin).
1.JPG
My device manager shows 5 Intel USB controllers 2658, 2659, 265A, 265B 265C in hex sequence, a "USB Composite" device, and 5 USB Root Hubs. I turned my attention to the last 5.
FWIW I have four USB ports on the back of the ASUS laptop and one on the side.
In all 5 cases Power Management shows "Allow" to be checked OFF.
The 5th USB Root hub shows the Cano{n}Scan there and 7 (!!) ports available.

This last hints (to me) at something gone very wrong.
It is conceivable that I have re-installed the Scanner 6 times since the initial installation.

I figure I have little to lose by deleting this port once I return home from my downtown appointment.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I figure I have little to lose by deleting this port once I return home from my downtown appointment.
(later) I didn't, but a re-installation of WinXP and re-installation of software seems to have dome the trick.