WinZip 14 Question

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

WinZip 14 Question

Post by Bigaldoc »

Like a lot of other things about my PC life, I've used WinZip for a long time, so in spite of other freebies being available I stick with WinZip. The last time I upgraded was to their Version 12 and they're now on Version 14.

I wasn't about to spend $50 on it if the one I'm using continues to do what I need, so I passed on V. 14 back when it came out. It also seems to me that I read something about their Version 14 having some problems but I don't remember anything about that. I searched over at WS and can't find anything. Don't know if it had to do with Win7 or 64-bit or what. Does anyone recall any problem with their latest product, incompatibilities or whatever?

The reason I ask now is that I got an email from them offering to sell me Version 14 Pro for $15 and I'm tempted...

HansV
Administrator

Re: WinZip 14 Question

Post by HansV »

I also use WinZip. Until a month ago, I had a PC with Windows XP, and I saw no reason to upgrade from WinZip 12 to WinZip 14.
When I got a new PC with Windows 7, I found that WinZip 12 was not fully compatible with Windows 7 (the context menu entries didn't always work), so I took the offer for a cheap upgrade. I haven't had problems with WinZip 14 on Windows 7, and it supports the new features of Windows 7 such as libraries and jump lists.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

HansV wrote:... I found that WinZip 12 was not fully compatible with Windows 7 ...
Wow, I'm glad I asked! I haven't gotten around to trying to install WinZip in Win 7 yet, since I'm still only about a 25% user of Win 7 to this point.

I think I'll take the offer then. By the way, I can't find this offer of $15 anywhere on their web pages, so it's probably a special link put in emails to registered buyers from the past. The "special" price on their web page shows $30 for the standard version and $50 for Pro.

WinZip® - The Zip File Utility for Windows

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I got the offer in an e-mail too.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The last time I use WinZip or any other third party zipping program was on early XP. Since then I have been using the zipping that comes with Windows and they all have worked. :evilgrin:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The zip functionality built into Windows XP and later is sufficient for most purposes, but third-party utilities have additional features and qualities.

For example, the native XP zip slows to a crawl on large files, while WinZip (and no doubt other utilities too) processes them quickly.
Best wishes,
Hans

johbot
2StarLounger

Post by johbot »

And, as always, when you click on a link in an email, make sure that you do go to the vendor's site and check that you are on a https url and there is the lock icon in the corner. Just because you trust the vendor doesn't mean that the email has the correct link. (That's advice from someone who wasn't careful enough and just bitten)

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

HansV wrote:I got the offer in an e-mail too.
So did I and for that price, I was thinking of going for it.

Ian