Free Scan!!!!!!!!

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Free Scan!!!!!!!!

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi....I am accutely aware that the majority of offers to scan one's computer for free are just ploys to induce the purchase of their full product so as to purge the many -so called- hindrances they find that are said to be "slowing down the computer".
However, the latest newsletter from Alan Wyatt http://word.tips.net/ci.html?awt_l=Iloi ... g1kyjQPx4X
which seems to be Kosher, recommends a free scan by "PC Pitstop". Comments please.... Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Free Scan!!!!!!!!

Post by HansV »

Hi Dave,

PC Pitstop might well be a bona fide program, but that part of Alan Wyatt's newsletter looks very much like an advertisement disguised as an editorial.

The free scan offered is nothing more or less than that - a scan. If you want to do something with the results of the scan, you'd have to buy the Optimizer program from PC Pitstop.

I'd pass it by if I were you.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks Hans...words of wisdom I believe, I firmly believe in erring on the side of caution and "If in doubt to do nowt (nothing) as we say in the UK". I have read more than once in mags and other forums that such scans purport to find dozens of problems many of which are in fact imaginary but in the event that some are genuine, is there a free download that will identify & root them out please? Thanks Dave D.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Dave Davison wrote:...is there a free download that will identify & root them out please? Thanks Dave D.
The most highly recommended is Malwarebytes anti-malware.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Please pardon my dullness but I logged on to the suggested site but can't see the obvious tab to click to download the appropriate app. SORRY guys.... Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Malwarebytes program mentioned by StuartR is an excellent free anti-malware tool.

If you want a program that will clean up (some of) the clutter that gets left behind on your PC during use, try CCleaner. It removes superfluous files and also contains a very cautious registry cleaner. Download the "slim" version from CCleaner - Builds. It too is free.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Dave Davison wrote:Please pardon my dullness but I logged on to the suggested site but can't see the obvious tab to click to download the appropriate app. SORRY guys.... Dave.
Try the "Download now" button on this page (this link may not be available indefinitely)
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

A thousand thanks gentlemen, don't know where I would be without your incredible assistance fired by such amazing willingness & patience. THANK YOU....Dave.

Slim
StarLounger

Post by Slim »

Dave,
If you want to scan for malware you could consider Spybot Search and Destroy. It is free and may meet your needs. It does not scan or try to correct the Registry.
I have used it for several years and have been satisfied with it.
Regards,
Slim

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Please pardon my dullness but I logged on to the suggested site but can't see the obvious tab to click to download the appropriate app. SORRY guys.... Dave.
For your further info, Dave. On that screenshot you supplied, you have to click on one of the "mirror" sites listed below the download icon.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks Dave.

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

I've been using Advanced SystemCare Free for a while now. It does a spyware scan and registry fix and cleans up a lot of junk. It also runs a lot of utilities that are already in Windows, but at least they are all in the same place. If I've left it for a while then my pc certainly runs faster after a scan so it must be doing something good! They try to sell you the full product but the free version still cleans up the errors it finds.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experience of this product.

Regards

Graeme

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

The 2 programs which seem to get the Image from the most reliable sources and of which I have to agree from my own testing and experience are in the order of my preference:

1. Malwarebyte's Anti-malware
2. SUPERAntispyware

Both offer FREE versions as well as pay Pro versions which provide real-time protection along with a few other additional features.
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Free Scan

Post by John Gray »

I agree with your suggestions - but what on earth is that smilie supposed to mean/be doing?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

John Gray wrote:I agree with your suggestions - but what on earth is that smilie supposed to mean/be doing?
I suspect it may be a variant on :thumbup:
StuartR

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

John Gray wrote:I agree with your suggestions - but what on earth is that smilie supposed to mean/be doing?
:laugh: I had the same initial reaction -- looked to me like the little orange face was winking and waving a candle about. A quick right-click and save-as selection showed its original name as "thumUp2.gif".
Samantha

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sheesh, even with my bad eyes I can plainly see it's a guy with a white glove on with fingers curled and thumb pointing up. :innocent:

So, check the properties of this one: Image

Graeme
Cosmic Lounger

Post by Graeme »

Pilgrim wrote:The 2 programs which seem to get the Image ..........
Thanks I'll have a look at those.

Great smiley!

http://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Samantha wrote:
:laugh: I had the same initial reaction -- looked to me like the little orange face was winking and waving a candle about. A quick right-click and save-as selection showed its original name as "thumUp2.gif".
I thought it was a candle, too - which is why I inquired! Not as good as one of Kel's...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Hmmmm, I never thought that little Smiley would cause so much confusion. Image

Perhaps I should forgo using that one here and use this one instead?! Image
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!