Adobe fails download to download

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Adobe fails download to download

Post by Dave Davison »

Similar to a recent post about a Microsoft update refusing to download, secunia tells me there is an Adobe update which is a potential threat if no patched but despite numerous attempts it too will not take root. (see message below) How do I summount this hurdle please. Regards Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Adobe fails download to download

Post by StuartR »

Did you try deinstalling previous versions of Acrobat and then installing the latest version?
StuartR

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Question Dave: Why did you post this in the XP forum? I think it belongs in the software forum (Other Applications). :duck:

Meanwhile, see John Gray's post for an FTP site to download from and try that instead of what you've got.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi...... must admit I was not aware that one always has to uninstall an older version of a prog. before proceeding with an update. Yes, I have come across incidents when a prompt is given to do so but in this case after clicking the update tab the program seemed to be performing the uninstal itself so I just let it run. This it does till the message I pasted appears on screen. Perhaps I will use Revo to wipe the old version off before making another attempt to upgrade Adobe. Thanks for the replies. PLEASE, if I post a future question in the wrong section, maybe an adminstrator will exercise the right to move it to where it is most suited before responses are made....have taken note of the link you pointed to Al. many thanks again. Dave.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You do not have to uninstall an older version unless the installer tells you that you need to remove the older version. Did you attempt to update from with Adobe Reader or did you download the installation file separately?

Joe
Joe

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for the reply Joe.... I simply clicked on the arrow in secunia and followed the instructions when the Adobe web page opened, just as I have done countless times before when Secunia warns that I have an insecure prog. !!!!! Thanx Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I recommend you download the installer from |MG| Adobe Reader 9.3 Download or a similar site and save it on your PC somewhere. Make sure Adobe reader is not running. You might want to use Task Manager and make sure acrord32.exe is not running as a service. Then run the installer. If you still get the error you can try using the Registry Editor to navigate to the registry key in question and take ownership of the key. Then you can re-run the installer.

Joe
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Why are you tyring to upgrade Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.5 when the current version is Adobe Reader 9.3?
The Adobe Reader replaced the Adobe Acrobat Reader a couple of years ago. I think this is one of those errors that the Secunia program is giving you. I quit using Secunia for this very reason, if it even finds a copy of any "Install" file, it will tell you that you need to upgrade.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

....."why am I trying to upgrade & etc.... just because Secunia is saying Adobe 4.5 is a threat as the screen shot showed. (Using Revo) I have uninstalled the 4.5 version, just ran Secunia again and nothing was reported as needing patching so as of now the computer is said to have no security threats.....Thanks gents.... Dave..