PDF won't print

Sundog
5StarLounger

PDF won't print

Post by Sundog »

I'm trying to print a particular PDF.

The Print Dialog opens, I click Print, my printer goes from Ready to Processing Job, then in a few seconds reverts to Ready, and nothing prints.

Same results from Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Reader, and from Windows Explorer by right-clicking filename. Test page prints fine.

The PDF properties indicate that printing is allowed. Other PDFs print OK.

I've tried the PDF before filling in, and after filling in. Filling is allowed. I've tried Resetting the form. No change.

Any ideas?
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Re: PDF won't print

Post by HansV »

Hard to say. Can you try printing it to another printer and/or from another computer?
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Only one printer available at this CPU. Printed OK to Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
Sundog

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You might try another PDF reader, but on the other hand that might interfere with your Adobe settings so I don't know whether it's worth the trouble.
Best wishes,
Hans

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

Print Dialog => Advanced => Print As Image does the trick (slowly).
Sundog

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Sundog wrote:Print Dialog => Advanced => Print As Image does the trick (slowly).
Ah, I see you've found what I was about to suggest.

I've found that certain PDFs created with Acrobat v4 behave as you describe when opened with Acrobat or Reader v7 and higher, i.e. although the security says they can be printed, nothing happens until you do so via the 'print as image' option and that means you have to wait an age for it to finally fall out of the printer.

If I remember correctly the PDFs I came across that behaved like this were ones that as well as having some sort of password security on them, also incorporated a self-sign digital signature.

Another quirk I've seen is that the first page of a PDF will print correctly but the rest of the document either refuses to print at all or is corrupt if it does print. Again, using 'print as image' allows you to get a hard copy.

As I've had a full copy of Acrobat Pro on my PC here at work for almost forever I've never had need to try an alternative PDF reader but AFAIK these apps are more likely to ignore any Adobe security settings and thus the PDF may print without problem.

Ken