Abine

Post by Hey Jude »

Has anyone had experience with this program? http://www.abine.com/
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Abine

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:Has anyone had experience with this program? http://www.abine.com/
This is he first I've heard of it but it sounds interesting, so I've DL and installed it.
Will keep my eye on it and report any glitches or whatever. It IS a beta program so be aware of this. Also check your firewall to make sure it looks at potential "calls home."
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks :-) Are you using the default settings? Using Windows 7 firewall and so far nothing.

I was just sent this http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-20024 ... eStories.0 which if you scroll down far enough you will read about Abine, Better Privacy and Track Me Not for FF privacy which explains it a little better to me.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

abine tracker.png
I notice that EL has 8 cookies on my laptop interesting....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Hey Jude wrote:
abine tracker.png
I notice that EL has 8 cookies on my laptop interesting....
It shows NINE on my desktop. snippet only show the first few but a total of nine?
Capture.PNG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I couldn't make them all show at the same time either to get a screenshot...but I show the same ones -1 so what do they all mean?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Google Analytics cookie is used to provide Mike with some basic statistics about visits to the Lounge - temporal and geographic patterns. It could in theory be used to target ads at user groups, but we don't have ads :smile:

Why Firefox has 8 or 9 EileensLounge cookies I have no idea, in Internet Explorer there is just one. It is used to keep you logged in between sessions (if you tick "Remember me" or "Log me on automatically each visit"). If you throw away your EileensLounge cookie(s) you will ALWAYS have to log in the next time you visit.

We don't use the Lounge cookie(s) for any other purpose.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I have the utmost respect and confidence for Hans and the other admins here. I am not concerned about what you guys do or don't do with cookies (hoping you eat them with some cream) but how do I keep EL cookies when it is checked to "delete all cookies upon exit of FF"? What does "Automatically start FF in a private browsing session" mean under Tools/Options/Privacy/ Use Custom settings? If that is checked, then some of the other options disappear? I want to be able to open EL and automatically be logged in without having to manually enter all my info.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Private Session for a description of what it does.

If you set Firefox to delete all cookies upon exit, you cannot specify exceptions, so this setting is not suitable if you wish to remain logged in to Eileen's Lounge (and others).
You could use (for example) CCleaner - it lets you specify which cookies to keep.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Got it! Now it works! Thanks :-) I just logged in as I used to so Abine does work very nicely in that I specified that it NOT remove EL cookies. Making sure each program works in harmony with the others makes for a smooth internet experience :-) Thanks for the Private Session info Hans :-)