Photo Editing Program

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Photo Editing Program

Post by hlewton »

I know this is a long shot but I used to edit my photos with a program that would add the word modified to the file name to let one know it was not the original photo but had been edited and then saved. If you edited the modified photo it would add another modified to the photo name. Example DSCN5400.jpg would become DSCN5400 modified.jpg after the first edit. After editing DSCN5400 modified.jpg, it would become DSCN5400 modified modified.jpg. I still have the edited photos but no idea what program I used to edit them. Does anyone know what program that would have been?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Re: Photo Editing Program

Post by LineLaline »

Could it have been Irfanview?
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

Also, if you open such a file you can see its metadata, maybe the application's name is in there. I sometimes open a JPEG or other files in. Erm... Notepad to see more :laugh:

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

LineLaline wrote:
27 Dec 2022, 23:09
Could it have been Irfanview?
No I had not heard of that when I did these.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

LineLaline wrote:
27 Dec 2022, 23:11
Also, if you open such a file you can see its metadata, maybe the application's name is in there. I sometimes open a JPEG or other files in. Erm... Notepad to see more :laugh:
Not sure how I would find that metadata. If I open the photo in Infraview how would I find it?
Regards,
hlewton

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Likely to be one of the Adobe Photoshop programmes ... perhaps 'Elements'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

RonH wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 06:44
Likely to be one of the Adobe Photoshop programmes ... perhaps 'Elements'.
Maybe but that doesn't sound familiar. Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 00:00
Not sure how I would find that metadata. If I open the photo in Infraview how would I find it?
In IrfanView click Image | Information and then in the bottom left corner of the dialog that appears use the EXIF and IPTC info buttons. However, I don't think you'll find the name of the application that saved the file in the metadata.

Ken

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Post by LineLaline »

hlewton wrote:
I usually use software such as Photoshop, yes, but their 'Bridge' can be good as well. Although i really don't like Bridge for many other reasons.
The generator name (application) is often added to the file. I have busted quite a few students heh heh heh... But if it's not added then you would not see it. I don't know the name of the software then.
I suddenly remember there was software in the nineties, free, by Microsoft. What was it, something something something, that's what.
🙄🤔
Hmmm...
I still should have it on a CD. If I haven't thrown those away. What was it though? They named layers 'sprites', jeez... so long ago. I even created designs with it at the time. Can you remember if there were elements named 'sprites'? I will continue to think about this. I remember they had this whole set of cool applications, one of them was named 'Liquid Motion' and it would generate javascript to accomplish what you wanted to happen. I would tweak the code because you could even see it. But that photo editing app, what was it???

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 19:53
hlewton wrote:
In IrfanView click Image | Information and then in the bottom left corner of the dialog that appears use the EXIF and IPTC info buttons. However, I don't think you'll find the name of the application that saved the file in the metadata.

Ken
Thank you for that and your correct the information I was looking for was not there. It wasn't there when I just Right clicked on the photo without opening it and chose Properties>Details. Both methods do tell me what make and model camera I used. :grin:
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

LineLaline wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 20:07
hlewton wrote:
I usually use software such as Photoshop, yes, but their 'Bridge' can be good as well. Although i really don't like Bridge for many other reasons.
The generator name (application) is often added to the file. I have busted quite a few students heh heh heh... But if it's not added then you would not see it. I don't know the name of the software then.
I suddenly remember there was software in the nineties, free, by Microsoft. What was it, something something something, that's what.
🙄🤔
Hmmm...
I still should have it on a CD. If I haven't thrown those away. What was it though? They named layers 'sprites', jeez... so long ago. I even created designs with it at the time. Can you remember if there were elements named 'sprites'? I will continue to think about this. I remember they had this whole set of cool applications, one of them was named 'Liquid Motion' and it would generate javascript to accomplish what you wanted to happen. I would tweak the code because you could even see it. But that photo editing app, what was it???
I am very sure I didn't use any photo editing program from MS. It was in 2014 that I used whatever program it was. OH well, maybe now I should just ask if anyone knows of a good, free photo editing program. I don't use these types of programs often enough to invest in one I have to purchase.
Regards,
hlewton

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

I have both GNU Image manipulation program (good, but a steep learning curve) and paint.net installed, but honestly most simple edits (mostly rebalancing stupidly exposed shots) are done using Irfanview.
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
28 Dec 2022, 20:32
...whatever program it was...
I've tried various searches but I've not found anything that seems to match what your application did.
hlewton wrote:
...a good, free photo editing program...
It depends what sort of edits you want to make. If all you want to do is crop out bits from the full frame then IrfanView is free and if you are already familiar with it will be more than adequate.

Alternatively try Faststone Image Viewer:
    https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
I've not got it (I use more sophisticated photo editing software) but it is well regarded as a quick and simple photo editor.

A third suggestion is Google's Picasa. The trouble with this is that Google abandoned it a long time ago so it's hard to find a 'safe' download option that doesn't include 'extras'. However, if you are interested in it, you can contact me by PM and I can find a way to share my genuine copy of the installer with you.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jonwallace wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 00:37
I have both GNU Image manipulation program (good, but a steep learning curve) and paint.net installed, but honestly most simple edits (mostly rebalancing stupidly exposed shots) are done using Irfanview.
I already have Irfanview so that is probably what I'll end up using. I do remember paint.net. I'll follow your link to see if it is compatible with Windows 11. Thank you.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 10:29
hlewton wrote:
...whatever program it was...
I've tried various searches but I've not found anything that seems to match what your application did.
hlewton wrote:
...a good, free photo editing program...
It depends what sort of edits you want to make. If all you want to do is crop out bits from the full frame then IrfanView is free and if you are already familiar with it will be more than adequate.

Alternatively try Faststone Image Viewer:
    https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
I've not got it (I use more sophisticated photo editing software) but it is well regarded as a quick and simple photo editor.

A third suggestion is Google's Picasa. The trouble with this is that Google abandoned it a long time ago so it's hard to find a 'safe' download option that doesn't include 'extras'. However, if you are interested in it, you can contact me by PM and I can find a way to share my genuine copy of the installer with you.

Ken
Thank you for all this information. I do remember Picasa but I don't think that is what I used. Actually about the only thing I use a photo editor for is mostly resizing. I believe InfranView will work well for me. I don't remember what I used but I know it had to be something that was very easy to use or I wouldn't have been using it. At the time, I had not heard of InfranView.
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

hlewton wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 13:10
...I don't remember what I used but I know it had to be something that was very easy to use or I wouldn't have been using it.
From Photo Editing App For iPhone - Page 2 - Eileen's Lounge:
hlewton wrote:
22 May 2019, 12:22
Yesterday I installed FastStone Image Viewer...
Leif

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 13:46
hlewton wrote:
...I don't remember what I used but I know it had to be something that was very easy to use or I wouldn't have been using it.
From Photo Editing App For iPhone - Page 2 - Eileen's Lounge:
hlewton wrote:
22 May 2019, 12:22
Yesterday I installed FastStone Image Viewer...
Thanks but that was not the one I was trying to remember.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

jonwallace wrote:
29 Dec 2022, 00:37
It seems Paint.net is not free but it is very reasonable and I gladly pay the small price. However, I do have, but have not installed yet, Paint.net version 4.0.16. I don't remember if I bought it or if it was free. I see that the newest version is 4.3.12. I found on the WEB 4.0.16 works with Windows 10 but found nothing about it working with Windows 11. Do you know if the version I have is safe to install and would it look for and update itself to version 4.3.12 if I installed it?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Version 4.3.12 is free from the dotPDN download page
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:
...about the only thing I use a photo editor for is mostly resizing...
Yes, IrfanView can resize images. However, in versions higher than 4.57 (current is 4.62) the 'Save for Web' option on the File menu no longer works because that feature used a third party plugin called RIOT that is no longer compatible with IrfanView. For this reason I still use IrfanView v 4.57 32 bit.

Ken