Close Edge Chromium

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Close Edge Chromium

Post by hlewton »

In running Ccleaner I got the message you can see in the first attachment. I'm not sure what Edge Chromium is but if it is the browser named Edge, I never use it and never open it. I looked in the Task Manager to see if it was running and I didn't see it.

In the second attachment, you can see I had to force it to close after previously telling Ccleaner to close it.

Why would this happen that Edge Chromium would be running if it is the browser named Edge since I never use it? Can I make any change anywhere to ensure it isn't running without me knowing?
Edge.jpg
Force Edge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Close Edge Chromium

Post by HansV »

When Microsoft released Windows 10 in 2015, it introduced a new browser named Edge. It was not a great success.
After a few years, they created a new version based on the same browser engine that is behind Google Chrome: Chromium.
For a while, they existed side by side, but the original version has now been decommissioned. Edge Chromium is now "the" Edge.

See StuartR's suggestion in this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 21:25
When Microsoft released Windows 10 in 2015, it introduced a new browser named Edge. It was not a great success.
After a few years, they created a new version based on the same browser engine that is behind Google Chrome: Chromium.
For a while, they existed side by side, but the original version has now been decommissioned. Edge Chromium is now "the" Edge.

See StuartR's suggestion in this post.
Thank you. I set things as StuartR said and I hope it held because I didn't see anything that asked me to save the new settings. I just closed out of Edge and then opened it again. They seem to be set as I left them.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

This is the exact same problem I've experienced with Edge Chromium.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 23:38
This is the exact same problem I've experienced with Edge Chromium.
It's nice to know that some of my problems have others to back them up. Not that I wish anyone bad luck but I seem to run into some strange situations at times. :clapping: :cheers:
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

We should form a club. I bet we wouldn't be the only members. :innocent:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 18:57
We should form a club. I bet we wouldn't be the only members. :innocent:
I actually thought about uninstalling Edge because I never use it. I haven't done that yet. I'm thinking you're right about the number of club members we would get. :grin:
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You cannot uninstall Edge the normal way, and if there are advanced tricks to do it, I would strongly recommend against it - it might destabilize Windows.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
24 Aug 2022, 20:31
You cannot install Edge the normal way, and if there are advanced tricks to do it, I would strongly recommend against it - it might destabilize Windows.
Thanks for that information. I will definitely leave it alone.

I wonder how MS did that? I remember when they got into some trouble for forcing Windows Explorer on everyone as the default browser. From the little I know about Edge sounds like it is the same kind of intrusive windows installation.

I just got the Blue Let's Finish setting up Windows screen on 2 of my computers yesterday. They were Win 10 machines. Instead of just rapidly clicking my way through them, I read what they were trying to do on the one screen. It was trying to get me to change my browser to Edge. I wondered why on other of my computers in the past I had to reset the default browser when I finished clicking my way through those options.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

The world is substantially different now than it was when Internet Explorer got Microsoft in trouble. Google Chrome is by far the dominant browser on the desktop. Chrome shares the phone world with Safari. Those two dominate the phone world. Microsoft has a very small presence comparatively.

I do agree with Hans about possibly causing issues in Windows if you remove it. Just don't use Edge if you don't want to.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
25 Aug 2022, 21:41
The world is substantially different now than it was when Internet Explorer got Microsoft in trouble. Google Chrome is by far the dominant browser on the desktop. Chrome shares the phone world with Safari. Those two dominate the phone world. Microsoft has a very small presence comparatively.

I do agree with Hans about possibly causing issues in Windows if you remove it. Just don't use Edge if you don't want to.
Yep, I'm leaving it alone. Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

DocAElstein
4StarLounger

Post by DocAElstein »

Hi
In the last couple of years I have been following some of the people who have popular windows 10 ( 11) “debloating” / “sanitising” tips and scripts.
“Getting rid” of Edge was/ is often one of their popular themes. Many had/have some very popular YouTube videos showing how to get rid of it…. But actually, most of these people confess they have put the white flag up in more recent times, since it seems Microsoft have won for now and they can‘t find a consistent way to “get rid” of it. (These people keep their videos up though, misleading people, as they are very popular and earn good money – just the way YouTube works unfortunately)
It seems that Edge has got so integrated into Windows now that, as people have mentioned, you don’t dare try and remove it in case you break something important.

What these people do often say now is that, if you think you may want to use anything to do with Edge in the future, then don’t use their Debloat scripts, as often they mess up things to do with Edge. That is to say, if you are lucky that is the only effect, - they likely mess up the working of Edge. If you are unlucky it might be worse if that messing up of Edge goes on to mess up something else.

Alan
I seriously don’t ever try to annoy. Maybe I am just the kid that missed being told about the King’s new magic suit, :(

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

DocAElstein wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 09:11
popular windows 10 ( 11) “debloating” / “sanitising” tips and scripts.
Some of this may have been necessary when hard drives were small and expensive, and memory was always in short supply. But that has not been needed for at least a decade now. Just get a disk that's big enough and enough memory and leave well alone with the software.

The only exception I have to this is the bloatware that some hardware manufacturers include with new computers. Much of this is positively harmful and should go.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

I'm thankful I was warned about trying to uninstall it. I do plan on leaving well enough alone. Especially in light of the fact I seem to find many other problems that I don't intentionally create but never-the-less seem to have. I'm certainly not going to create one I have been forewarned about.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Can Edge be prevented from opening?

I ask because CCleaner 'thinks' that it is running even though Task Manager shows nothing indicating that it is. I routinely close Firefox and Thunderbird before attempting to run CCleaner; however, I have no indication that Edge is running until CCleaner hiccups (hiccoughs?) and says it needs to be closed before proceeding. :scratch:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Did you change the settings as described in this reply to an earlier question from you?
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 18:28
Can Edge be prevented from opening?

I ask because CCleaner 'thinks' that it is running even though Task Manager shows nothing indicating that it is. I routinely close Firefox and Thunderbird before attempting to run CCleaner; however, I have no indication that Edge is running until CCleaner hiccups (hiccoughs?) and says it needs to be closed before proceeding. :scratch:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Not sure why yours is doing that but ever since I followed SturartR's suggestion Here in this thread, Ccleaner runs OK for me. I have run it twice.
Regards,
hlewton