hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Program to read PDF files

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 07:33
hlewton wrote:
14 Jun 2022, 21:50
I installed the free version of PDF Architect and it opened that file. That really is all I need to be able to do...
:hmmn: I suggested the free version of PDF Architect because I thought you needed the full PDF authoring features of Corel PDF Fusion but what you say here suggests that in fact all you are looking for is an application that simply reads PDF files and you don't actually need to be able to create or edit PDF files?

In which case, as you've already got the free version of Adobe Acrobat installed why don't you use that as your default PDF application? Alternatively, like many of us here in The Lounge, try Foxit PDF Reader, which despite appearances is free:
https://www.foxit.com/pdf-reader/
You only have to pay if you want the ability to fully edit PDF files.

Ken
Thank you. What I meant was I was able to open that file and read it but, for anything else, I still have Corel. I rarely have done much beyond reading a PDF file but I did try to create one a couples times. I am going to look into the other link you sent because I when using PDF Architect to open a file it opens a screen that wants me to upgrade every time I use it. It did set itself up as the default PDF program automatically, so I'm hoping I can change that with no problem. I used to have Foxit PDF Reader and somehow it got lost in the shuffle. I am going to look into that for sure. Thanks again
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 10:05
Or if you want a lightweight PDF reader, try Sumatra PDF. It's completely free.
Thank you Hans.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I can read - only - PDF files in my Firefox browser. I didn't see an add-in installed; so I'm guessing that it is part of the app. I have a hazy recollection of that having been added a few versions back, but I might be wrong.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 16:41
..read ... PDF files in my Firefox browser...
Yes FF will read PDFs by default but you can change how it handles them by opening Settings and scrolling down to the Applications section.

Ken

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Here is a thought if I may.

Corel Fusion main function by default is edit (assemble, disassemble, create) pdfs, xps or docs FILES possibly from various file sources (like unlocked doc, xls, xps, pdf, PPT) where edit permission is allowed.

It does not seem to have a READER ONLY VIEW option only EDIT MODE option.

In the PDF example "3 Year Standard Limited Warrant.pdf" you may need to password unlock the file before Corel Fusion can open it (again in EDIT/read MODE). When you see the error message in Corel Fusion, it is most likely an edit permission thingy.

Here is a Free Online PDF Password Remover if you want to try (of course with a dummy none confidential file even your example file).

I hope that makes sense.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Crashing this thread . . .

Is there a free or inexpensive app that will allow users to modify PDF files, as in fill in forms?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Many PDF readers will allow filling in PDF forms. Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader do.
Best wishes,
Hans

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Sometimes you may have PDF form designed without fillable fields and without restriction on adding comments that you need to fill-in. Foxit Reader (freeware) have commenting tools like the TYPEWRITER and STAMP tools to accomplish the form.

The stamp tool allows you to create custom stamp from picture files for inserting photo or signature as a graphics for instance. Using really small graphics for custom stamp will prevent you from the extra step of resizing inserted object.

These comments/annotations that were inserted are selectable, resizeable, movable and saved with the pdf.

If you are interested open the simple form I attached here try out these features.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.