HP Print Driver Update Confusion

CraigS26
2StarLounger

HP Print Driver Update Confusion

Post by CraigS26 »

Many Threads since my UN-answered HP Forum post, so I'll ask here ....
What would be your typical reaction / plan be per the following:

MFP227dfw - USB to HP Envy desktop ...MY Current Print Driver shows Ver 8.xxx Dated 4/16/19 BUT Instd 1-18-21 --- and Today's "Update Drvr" Clk said Up-To-Date.
Today's HP email specific to MY MODEL -- offers Basic AND FULL Driver Updates-- BUT Those Ver's are V44.xxx.
Only helpful stat on FULL Pkg is IF you have 5 Printers to use and want one Drvr Vs 5.

I'm just one Printer, so I'd guess Basic IF I Update, BUT WHAT do you make of the Ver # differences and Dev Mgr stating 4/16/19 Driver is Up-To-date?
Many Thanks as always!
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

StuartR
Administrator

Re: HP Print Driver Update Confusion

Post by StuartR »

What app are you using for the "Update Drvr" Clk? Is this something from HP, or Windows Update, or some third party driver update utility?
StuartR

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Sorry for the omission & Thanks for the Reply..
Devmgmt.msc / Rt Clk on my HP MFP line PCL-6 (V4) in Printers / Update Driver ... gave I have the latest....

IF latest HP provided Basic / Full Driver pkgs are V44 .... hard to figure what a V8 is doing there now that's Up-to-date per Rt Clk/ Update Chk?
I only respond to either the link "HP My Dashboard" Driver checks OR an email from them that usually gives a link to same - SO the V8 Driver is there from an HP SITE Update 1/18/21.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Windows device manager only has a very limited idea of what the latest driver for an HP multi-function device is. The best way to check on HP driver for the device is to visit HP.COM and search by the device name.
StuartR

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Thanks, Stuart, but the Email from HP gives my Specific MFP Printer Updates (Basic or Full) Both as Ver 44.xxx when my current Printer driver (per Dev Mgr) is Ver 8.xxx, and Dev Mgr says IT is THE latest.

THAT is my dilemma - whether to Update to Basic V44.xxx or stay with current V8 -- AND what's the difference in V8 now Vs V44 offered by HP..

Thanks for the Reply. Didn't expect precise answer, just wondered what others do in these type cases.
Think I'll stay as is until something forces a change.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Best rule for this kind of situation is to go for the driver supplied by the company that makes your printer. In this case that is the one that you can find at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... el/9365386
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Thanks for the Link, Stuart.
I've seen it many times trying to decide IF and which Pkg to choose.
With an Extended Wrty - Monday (after brushing up on all "Far East" dialects - Uggghhh) I'll call HP and get them to tell me IF & what to choose.

I use to use the Hi-pwrd HP Software Sppt Asst but once with Update Install issues I called HP and they actually told me to KEEP the current Driver even as the Asst said Update.
Software is too often a moving target. Thanks again!