Digital camera issue

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Digital camera issue

Post by Dave Davison »

Just bought a Praktic digital camera, proceeding to install software I inserted the accompanying CD and the first screen shot (below) showing four options appears. Selecting the START option results in the second view which offers a tutorial on video making / editing & a PDF copy of the User Manual, whilst selecting Autorun or desktop gives the third view. Unlike my last camera an Olympus and printer software CD's that I have used in the past, they were easy to install but this one leaves me baffled. The PDF User manual simply says, plug one end of the supplied USB cable to the PC and the other end into the appropriate socket on the camera, switch it on and the computer should appear show in the "My Computer" view BUT the camera icon is not visible. Any clues as to how to install the software please. Hope that makes sense! :scratch: :thankyou: Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Digital camera issue

Post by stuck »

I'm guessing that when you say 'Praktic' you actually mean the brand 'Pracktica'. In which case is there anything on their FAQ page that might help you? Here:
    https://help.praktica.com/en/collection ... amera-faqs

Meanwhile, from the screenshots you uploaded:
1) The first one appears to be the consequence of how Windows on your PC/laptop is configured to react when a CD is inserted, it looks like just a listing of the files on the CD
2) The second one is the consequence of selecting and running the file called 'Start' (which from the first screenshot you can see is an application) and shows that the CD only gives you the option to view the manual or watch a video, i.e. it appears there is no option to install any camera specific software.
3) The third one is again a consequence of how Windows on your PC/laptop is configured. Windows has opened the files using Notepad, which shows instructions inside the file. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but those instructions appear to simply invoke the file called 'start', which as already noted, only lets you view the manual or watch a video, it gives no option to install any software.

Thus, if there is no software to install then when the manual says, "Plug one end of the supplied USB cable to the PC and the other end into the appropriate socket on the camera, switch it on and the computer should appear show in 'My Computer' I'd expect that to mean that, having connected the camera to the PC/laptop with the USB cable, when you open File Explorer, or 'My computer', it might not be displayed with a camera icon but it would at least appears as an extra drive letter.

Does any of this help?

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks for taking the time to throw me a lifeline, I follow what you say and -yes- when connected to the PC the camera should appear as an extra drive but does not. since uploading my post I double clicked the "Magix video easy" tab and all it did was install software relating to video making / editing which I have little or no interest in, just need the camera software so I can import photos to the computer. THANX again Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If your computer has multiple USB ports, try plugging the USB cable that is connected to your camera into a different USB drive on the computer.
Also, when you turn on the camera after plugging the USB cable into the computer, look for instructions on the camera's screen. This is what I see on my (admittedly ancient) digital camera:

Camera.jpg

The camera doesn't appear as a drive until I click PC, and it displays as a generic USB drive:

S0704.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Isn't "ancient digital camera" an oxymoron? :scratch:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 12:35
...The camera doesn't appear as a drive until I click PC, and it displays as a generic USB....
Good point Hans!

Dave, the camera might not prompt you in the way that Hans shows. You might have to go looking for that setting within the camera's settings. Read the manual, it ought to be in there.

An alternative approach getting the images off the camera is to NOT connect the camera to the PC at all. Instead, with the camera turned off, remove the memory card from the camera and put it into a card reader. When you do that the card appears as an extra drive in File Explorer and the images files can be easily copied to a folder on your PC.

There are dozens of card readers to choose from so I won't post a link, I have a Kingston one. The advantage to me of using a card reader over connecting my camera direct to my PC is that the image files are transferred from the reader to the PC at high (USB 3) speeds.

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 16:45
Isn't "ancient digital camera" an oxymoron? :scratch:
I'd say that anything digital that's over about 18 months old is 'ancient'.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Dated or out-of-date . . . without a doubt. But ancient? Only hyperbolically to my mind, but then I'm very old and would still like to find some fresh Kodachrome for my 1965 Nikon F2. :grin:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 17:23
An alternative approach getting the images off the camera is to NOT connect the camera to the PC at all. Instead, with the camera turned off, remove the memory card from the camera and put it into a card reader.
A good point too, Ken!

All my recent PCs have had a built-in card reader.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.............well! after all the frustration the remedy was simply as Hans suggested, try a different USB port on the PC, talking to my local computer shop owner today - who actually built the PC for me - he suggested the very same thing and there was the camera icon under "Portable Devices". He explained that over time, the constant inserting & removing of USB plugs can distort the delicate contacts hence selecting another socket is the first step to remedying such an issue. However!" As ever I am most grateful for the help immediately to hand on this forum so thanks again guys. Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
23 Aug 2021, 17:45
...find some fresh Kodachrome...
Alas Kodak stopped making that in 2010. However you still can buy 35mm transparency film so if you are serious I'd recommend this film (because it's good) and as you are in the US to buy it from this, and only this store (because it it's a top notch shop and won't rip you off):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... rovia.html

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

That stuff is too dear for my retirement wallet, Ken!

Thanks for the link, though.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

The headline price is high but it's for a 5 roll pack and each roll will give at least 36 exposures so that works out at only 47 cents per picture.

What price nostalgia?

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Yes, but it doesn't include processing.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Processing the film as mounted transparencies at this place in Austin, Texas will cost about $11.00 per film:
https://www.hollandphoto.com/e-6-film-processing-1
That's only about another 30 cents per picture.

Go on, you know you want to :grin:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

And Austin is just down the road a bit.

Hmmmm . . . .
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Before you splash cash...

Do you still have a slide projector and screen with which to view your photos? It's no fun squinting at 35mm slides held up the light :eyeout:

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Believe it or not, I do!! :grin:

Don't know if the projector bulb is still good or where to buy one if it isn't. :frown:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BobH wrote:
25 Aug 2021, 21:27
...where to buy one if it isn't.
Call B&H Photo, I'm sure if they don't sell them, they'd know where to get one.

Ken
PS I've only got one projector screen but I've got three projectors. My own and the ones that belonged to my father and father-in-law.