making word file suitable for reading on the TV

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

making word file suitable for reading on the TV

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi guys; I have downloaded a series of free Bible exposition e-books in PDF format, copied and saved the text to WORD files which are saved on a Seagate external drive. Plugging the drive into the UBS port on the TV enables me to play other video files and display photos that are on the drive on the TV screen but not the word files. Is it possible to doctor the files so they can be displayed on screen please?

HansV
Administrator

Re: making word file suitable for reading on the TV

Post by HansV »

The TV can probably only process media files: images, videos and audio files. A Word document is not a media file, and a TV does not run Word,
Can you connect the TV to your computer as an extra monitor? You can then open the document on your computer and view it on the TV.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

That thought had crossed my mind Hans so i will explore that option. I have a pair of TP-Link plugs linking the modem to the TV but they only enable me to watch You Tube progs, Seeing the TV is downstairs & the modem upstairs [the wireless feature of which is disabled] does that mean a lengthy LAN cable is required to make the connection OR the wireless feature being reactivated? The reason for disabling the wireless feature was after an expert on radiation advised me to get rid of as many wireless gadgets in the house as possible due to accumulated radiation dangers. Some poo poo the very idea but I have actually seen a video of a man frying an egg using 7 mobile phones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3ge9M54l7E I am well aware of things being faked but this seems kosher. Regards Dave.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

If you have the PDF files on eg a tablet, maybe you could use such as Google Home to wireless cast screen to TV. Of course that also means WiFi and your router distance from TV might be an issue.

Can't comment about radiation except to say we 'walk' in it all the time ... even our supermarket offers free WiFi.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Aussie Ron from Norway reaching out to help and OLDIE in the UK, what a small world this has become due to the amazing technology we have access to. You're mention of "Google Home" to wireless cast is I'm afraid over my old head, never use Google as a search engine rather DuckDuckGo. Am I missing something?

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Okay, here's an idea. I created a two-page Word document to test this. I also have Snagit (which is one of the most useful utilities I've ever owned). Snagit installs a printer along with the main program, and the printer appears in Word.

So I printed my two page document to "Snagit 2021" which subsequently opened Snagit. A control in the bottom left of the editing area allowed me to click through the pages.
page counter.jpg

However, when I saved the document from Snagit, I got these options:
print save options.jpg

Allowing me to save multiple *.jpg files, all with the same "first name" followed by an incrementing number.

This technique should make it possible for you to play them on your TV. Maybe?

HTH, Kim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for taking the time to throw a lifeline to a floundering geek, though I have seen Snagit I have never been inclined to download and use it as forever I have used FastStoneCapture -which apart from the "Scroll" feature which I still find difficult to master - has done all I wanted and easy to use. I had noticed that if I use take a screen shot of doc like e.g. an insurance receipt it obviously saves a a picture which can be viewed on the TV screen but for a multi page booklet / book this could prove to be a laborious exercise But may well be the simplest route to take but maybe Ron's comments are worth looking in to. Nevertheless I might explore the potentials of Snagit as another iron in the fire is not a bad thing.
Thanks anyway.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Tried to download Snagit -even the 2020 version but it will not install on Windows 7 ?????

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

That's disappointing and at odds with their website. Here's what they say:
Snagit for Win 7.jpg

I'll see if I can find an older version if you're interested in trying. On the other hand, I've only tested in 2021...

Aarrgghh. Kim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Dave Davison wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 20:12
Thanks Aussie Ron from Norway reaching out to help and OLDIE...
Hello old chap :grin:
Google Home/Chromecast is well described on the net so have a read if this is a possibility you would like to consider. However I think that the separation you have between router and TV would be the stumbling block. Originally my router was in a separate room on the same floor as TV and casting struggled at times ... I use Chromecast, have the app installed on my Android device from where I control screencast to TV. I can cast anything from my Android device and watch it on telly.

Cheers Ron (another oldie)
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Tried again to install SnagIt selec
WIN 10 req.jpg
ting the older 2020 version but got this message : - :scratch:

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

It seems to me that you're downloading the 2021 version anyway. Did you get it from TechSmith or from a download site like at CNet? I've seen some sites give the latest version even if the heading is "2020."

Try here: Previous Release Download.

Use the first dropdown to choose Snagit for Windows, then the second dropdown to choose Snagit 20.1.6. If that still doesn't work, try v. 19.

Previous versions.jpg

Snagit usually allows at least a 15-day free trial. I think it's watermark free, too.

Hope this helps! Kim