Adobe Flash Player Version 10

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

Adobe Flash Player Version 10

Post by CharliesDaughter »

I think this is one of those programs that just ends up installed on most computers, because I never knew I had it until I started having problems!

When I click on a video link like for instance that is part of a daily news story, I guess Adobe Flash Player becomes active. The problem is the video will play for about two seconds, stop, start for another two seconds, stop again, and it continues that way until it's finished - or you give up and leave as I do time and time again.

I'm bothered by not being able to use this and I've tried uninstalling and doing some other things (Windows/Tools/Internet Options/Security etc., but nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Adobe Flash Player Version 10

Post by DaveA »

Most of the time it is NOT the player, but the file it's self that has problems.
Can you provide a link to the one you are having issues with?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Possible causes:
- A slow internet connection. Video takes up a lot of bandwidth, so with a slow connection your computer cannot download the video fast enough.
- An old video card. Older video cards have only a limited amount of memory to process video.
- Insufficient room in the browser cache. Try clearing the cache, and check the setting for its size (64 MB is an acceptable size for most purposes).
Best wishes,
Hans

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

Here's a link to newsnet.com. Click on the Video for the story about the Juvenile Justice Center. However, I can tell you that I have the problem not just with that one, but with any and all of them.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... g-momentum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

What happens if you pause the video immediately after it starts playing, then wait until it has been downloaded completely before resuming play? (If you look closely, you can see the download progressing in the bar at the bottom of the video)
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

CharliesDaugher wrote:Here's a link to newsnet.com. Click on the Video for the story about the Juvenile Justice Center. However, I can tell you that I have the problem not just with that one, but with any and all of them.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_ ... g-momentum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I tried your link. The video played perfectly on this computer with no stutters or pauses. What is the speed of your internet connection?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

How do I check that? I have Windows 7 and can't find anything any longer!

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you mean your connection speed, you can use an online tool such as Speedtest.net. Just choose a location close to you for more accurate results.

Joe
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

This problem has started affecting my setup, too. I get a minute or two into a YouTube or other video and it simply stops.

This behavior started since CharliesDaughter first reported the problem.

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 fully updated on a core duo HP laptop with wife n on Roadrunner cable modem. I have noticed no other delays or jitter or problems; the video just stops some minutes into play. I run FF 3.6.10 and have 64KB allocated to cache. My speed test (following JoeP's link) gave me 31ms ping, 0.40 Mb/s upload, and 16.38 Mb/s download (this between me and a server about 65 miles away from my location) in the shank of a Sunday evening.

Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I meant to reply to your post earlier, but then I saw Dave reply to it, and wanted to wait and see.

I think we all have experienced that streamed videos, a bit demanding tasks for the browser, computer and connection, can stutter from time to time, and if we try the same video a little later, everything is working all OK. It is often something beyond what we can change or troubleshoot; load at the server side, the ISPs traffic etc. But with higher speed, and some other, as mentioned by Hans, we see it less often.

You say that you have tried to uninstall (Flash player?), did everything work OK with that? It's very easy to, for example, download the uninstaller at Adobe at the same time as a new copy of the latest player, if one wants to try that. But if you have an otherwise working copy installed, you shouldn't need that. (Flash Player is often "active" doing many things, even simple menus on sites, nowadays.)

But my question, some have asked you about your Internet connection speed, and that is as mentioned by others of course important, but it seems like you have been able to watch videos before, without problems, so my question is: have you tried several other places? Is it only this place or several other sites, not videos on the same site?

There is no problem with the video over here, but that doesn’t help you much. Let's see if some of the tests you can do will help pinpoint the problem.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

BobH wrote:...and have 64KB allocated to cache.
I hope that is a typo!

Try increasing and clearing your cache and see if that helps.
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:This problem has started affecting my setup, too. [...]
As I said in my reply to CharliesDaugher, I think they are often intermittent, sporadic, and beyond end user control; that is, if the setup was working before, and it meets at least some minimum conditions in speed (and memory & video card). One can try some simple things like restarting the browser, cleaning the cache etc.

In general I agree with the results from speedtest.net, but sometimes, and I'm fully aware that that can depend on the conditions on the net, my ISP, the server at the time, distance etc., I get wonky results. Such as higher upload speed than download, when they should be the opposite, for me. But as Joe said, for accurate results, one should look at locations close to home!

Just to illustrate, at this moment I can get both higher and lower upload than download in TX, but if I pick one of them and then compare, with something a little closer :grin: it can look like this, the one to the right is the Austin, TX, server, some 5,200 miles away, and the other is one of those closest to this place:
C09-20.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Leif wrote:
BobH wrote:...and have 64KB allocated to cache.
I hope that is a typo!

Try increasing and clearing your cache and see if that helps.

Where the "Egg on my face" smiley?

Yes, that was a typo. I have 64MB allocated to cache.

What can I say? I'm an old mainframe guy who wrote his first program on an IBM 1401 with 4KB (no, this is NOT a typo) of memory. It also had 556 bpi tape drive media, a high speed impact printer, and a card reader/punch (for those who don't know, each card could contain a maximum of 80 bytes of data).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:
What can I say? I'm an old mainframe guy who wrote his first program on an IBM 1401 with 4KB (no, this is NOT a typo) of memory. It also had 556 bpi tape drive media, a high speed impact printer, and a card reader/punch (for those who don't know, each card could contain a maximum of 80 bytes of data).
Ah. the "good old days."
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.