Edit text in pdf form

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Edit text in pdf form

Post by Jeff H »

I'm using Acrobat Pro 9 and I have created a form with lots of fields, but I need to change the text of the form (i.e. not the form fields). I can't find a way to do this and I'd hate to have to redo all the fields in a new document.

The closest I got with my online search was a guy who said it was for Pro 9 but he demonstrated with Pro 10 and showed a Toolbar I can't find. It has Content, Comment, and Share buttons on the far right side, where Tools > Content > Edit Document Text is the method.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? I'm sure I should be able to edit the text.

Thanks,
- Jeff

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: Edit text in pdf form

Post by DaveA »

Since you made this file you should have the source document.
You can just edit the source document and the resave it as a PDF.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

Hmm. That makes sense. But I thought that if I created a pdf form using an original Word doc, then the new pdf was the original source (pdf-wise).

Does this mean I have to create the document and form from scratch in Acrobat?

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave means, find your original Word file, update that and then create a new PDF from from the updated Word file. He's telling you that because PDF files are not easily editable, the only truly reliable way to change a PDF is to update the source file it was created from.

Or are you saying that your original Word file does not contain any form fields, all the fields were added using Acrobat? In which case, does this help:
https://answers.acrobatusers.com/How-I- ... 41709.aspx

Ken

Jeff H
4StarLounger

Post by Jeff H »

I'm starting to get it. After Dave's post I started recreating the form in Acrobat. I find it awkward, but I'm learning a lot about how Acrobat works.

Then, to answer Ken's question, yes, I made a Word doc without form fields into a pdf and added the fields. I had tried to do it with the Word form fields, but I had to revise the fields so much it was easier to add them manually.

I'm about to start working on the form now and I will check your reference, Ken. At first glance it looks very relevant.

As you might guess, I've had this Acrobat Pro 9 for many years but I've never used it much. I can't really upgrade because even if I could find my proof of ownership, $199 for Acrobat 2017 is too much. And the full license is $450.

Anyway, thanks to both of you. Either way, if I can edit the Word original or learn to create a comparable pdf from scratch, you've answered my question quite well.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have found that editing the Word file works best for me.
Glad to have been a help to you.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living