MediaPortal and TV-Server

BobH
UraniumLounger

MediaPortal and TV-Server

Post by BobH »

Anyone here familiar with this software?

I'm trying to set up to record TV programs from the cable feed and from the VHS and DVD players. I started a few weeks ago trying to learn about this. I already have Hauppauge HVR-1950 decoder device and the software that came with it. I've not succeeded (yet) in getting a signal from the VCR to display or record on the PC (HP Laptop 530 1.8 GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD-RW, WinXP Pro SP3). In reading forums on the subject, I learned of MediaPortal and TV-Server. I have both installed and configured to the best of my ability. In the TV-Server configuration process, I scanned for both digital and analog TV channels while the Hauppauge was connected and appearing in the devices list. I chose to install a single-seat instead of a TV server delaying the full server until I come closer to understanding the software. I can navigate the configuration programs for both MP and TV-Server and I can open and navigate in both programs, BUT I'm stuck there without being able to get data from the audio visual source devices.

I've tried connecting the Hauppauge to the VCR using both component cables (l/r audio and video) and shielded cable. Neither has given me evidence in MP of a data stream. MP does detect the connection because it displays the device by name in its devices list. And, yes, I've verified that the VCR is working by playing a tape with it connected directly to a TV set bypassing the Hauppauge and the PC.

I'm an utter neophyte at all this. I've learned only a very little of what I need to know, apparently, even though I've been through the manual PDF and Help screens several times. Each pass through the doc added to my awareness (if not my knowledge) of variables. For instance, I learned that digitial and analog decoding is done differently with different decoder cards. My VCR/DVD player does not record DVD and only outputs an analog signal (AFAIK).

That's about it. If anyone is familiar with this software and would be willing to undertake some coaching, I'd very much appreciate it. I feel like I'm standing next to a gold mine of capability but don't have a pickaxe.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs