Java Runtime Environment

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Java Runtime Environment

Post by Gloria E »

I just found version 1.6.0.21 64-bit. Should all previous versions be removed before installing the update? My OS is Windows 7 Home 64-bit.

Also, how can Java be set to automatically notify me of updates?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Java Runime Environment

Post by HansV »

If you install this version, the previous version will be removed automatically, there's no need to uninstall it first.

By default, Java will check for "critical" updates from time to time - see http://www.java.com/autoupdate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

However, version 1.6.0.21 is not considered to be a "critical" update if you already have 1.6.0.20, so you won't be notified of it.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:If you install this version, the previous version will be removed automatically, there's no need to uninstall it first.

By default, Java will check for "critical" updates from time to time - see http://www.java.com/autoupdate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

However, version 1.6.0.21 is not considered to be a "critical" update if you already have 1.6.0.20, so you won't be notified of it.
Thank you, but there's a problem. I don't have the update tab in Java via control panel. How can I get Java that will have the tab? The tabs I have are: General > Java > Security > Advanced.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Don't ask me why, but the Update tab is only available if you do NOT have the 64-bit version of Java. If you have the 64-bit version (or both the 32-bit AND 64-bit versions), the Update tab is not displayed.
You can still run the 32-bit version of the control panel if you have both 32-bit AND 64-bit Java by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin and opening javacpl.exe.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Don't forget that is you have a 64-bit Windows OS and you choose to install Java you should install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. It is highly likely that almost all the programs you run that reference Java are still 32-bit.

Joe
Joe

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Don't ask me why, but the Update tab is only available if you do NOT have the 64-bit version of Java. If you have the 64-bit version (or both the 32-bit AND 64-bit versions), the Update tab is not displayed.
You can still run the 32-bit version of the control panel if you have both 32-bit AND 64-bit Java by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin and opening javacpl.exe.
I solved that little problem by removing the 64-bit version of Java. I now have the update tab, thanks for calling it to my attention. If a program needs the 64-bit version (which I doubt), I will get it again, until then it's no longer on my computer. I did have both versions, the 32-bit version is in control panel all alone.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Java Runtime Environment

Post by John Gray »

Would I be correct in my theory that fewer and fewer PC programs actually require the Java Runtime Environment, with most systems having moved over to Flash? (Yes, I know they don't perform quite the same function...)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, the Java icon seldomly appears in the notification area (system tray) on my PC, mostly on sites that provide charts generated on-the-fly, since there are some popular Java applets for that purpose. If you often visit websites about mathematics and physics, you'll see the icon more frequently.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

John Gray wrote:Would I be correct in my theory that fewer and fewer PC programs actually require the Java Runtime Environment, with most systems having moved over to Flash? (Yes, I know they don't perform quite the same function...)
You may be right but one site I use quite frequently, Secunia Online Software Inspector, requires Java. I think the future of Flash is somewhat uncertain also, as the Apple/Adobe/HTML5 squabble demonstrates.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.