Problem installing Adobe Reader 9

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Problem installing Adobe Reader 9

Post by John Gray »

I downloaded and attempted to install Abobe Reader 9 on a new (refurbished old) XP Pro PC this morning, only to have it fail during the install after a certain percentage saying that one of the NOS temporary files (in \Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\NOS) had Access Denied. This percentage seemed to vary each time you tried it, as (maybe) did the name of the temporary file. I haven't found anything on a Google, and haven't come across this previously. I deleted the entire NOS subdirectory, rebooted, and tried the install again, with similar results.

Any thoughts, please? Thanks.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

HansV
Administrator

Re: Problem installing Adobe Reader 9

Post by HansV »

Do you have Administrator rights on this PC?
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Yes, the user is a Computer Administrator, and I installed several other software packages without problems.
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

You could try deleting all the files in %TEMP%
I have seen similar problems when there have been very large numbers of temporary files.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

NOS is the Adobe Download Manager. Try bypassing it by going to the direct download.

(Note: this link is for version 9.3.3, the current version on July 23, 2010. Do not use this link any more when a newer version has been released.)
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

OK, I'll try that, Hans! Stuart: I also cleared out temporary files with CCleaner, so I shouldn't have been that.

I did have download problems because of a wodgy internet connection, so there might be some connection with the pestilential download manager.
John Gray