Belarc Advisor

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Belarc Advisor

Post by Gloria E »

On the report under Users> local user accounts, Administrator has a red x which indicates that it's a disabled account. It has a date of 2/10/2010.

How can that be? I presumed that I was the Administrator. Why is it disabled?

Duchess is the second account with a date of 6/4/2010 with (admin) included.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Belarc Advisor

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote:How can that be? I presumed that I was the Administrator.
Obviously not since:
Gloria E wrote:Duchess is the second account with a date of 6/4/2010 with (admin) included.
All modern OSs from MSFT have a built-in Administrator account; it has been mentioned several times over the years. The built-in Administrator account is usually disabled to keep it safe from users tinkering with it, it can be needed at another point, then it's good to have the built-in Administrator account.

It's a different matter that user accounts may have administrator privileges.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
Gloria E wrote:How can that be? I presumed that I was the Administrator.
Obviously not since:
Gloria E wrote:Duchess is the second account with a date of 6/4/2010 with (admin) included.
All modern OSs from MSFT have a built-in Administrator account; it has been mentioned several times over the years. The built-in Administrator account is usually disabled to keep it safe from users tinkering with it, it can be needed at another point, then it's good to have the built-in Administrator account.

It's a different matter that user accounts may have administrator privileges.
I still don't completley understand, but if you say so than I can stop wondering why it's disabled. I became concerned because I've been to programs that require admin. privileges and been told to click on it before installing or updating. So I guess that makes me a sort of substitute admin.

I thank you for the explanation.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Hi Gloria,

You don't need to log in as Administrator to have Administrator privileges. Your user Duchess has Administrator privileges, because (admin) is displayed after the name, so when you're logged in as Duchess, you can do everything needed.

If necessary, Windows will tell you that it needs Administrator privileges for something, and ask for permission to continue.

It is also possible to right-click an application or a shortcut to an application and select "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu. This way, you tell Windows in advance that it will be OK to use Administrator privileges for the application.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:Hi Gloria,

You don't need to log in as Administrator to have Administrator privileges. Your user Duchess has Administrator privileges, because (admin) is displayed after the name, so when you're logged in as Duchess, you can do everything needed.

If necessary, Windows will tell you that it needs Administrator privileges for something, and ask for permission to continue.

It is also possible to right-click an application or a shortcut to an application and select "Run as Administrator" from the popup menu. This way, you tell Windows in advance that it will be OK to use Administrator privileges for the application.
What a great, easy to digest explanation!!!!! How come there's no thumbs up for this post?
Even I understand now the difference between different levels of Admin in Windows. :clapping:

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Gloria E wrote:How come there's no thumbs up for this post?
"Thumbs up" was recently introduced in another discussion board, but it's not a feature of this one.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:
"Thumbs up" was recently introduced in another discussion board, but it's not a feature of this one.
I know, but how about adopting it into this one? I, personally think it's a good idea. :fanfare:

We need to reward posters that put a lot of thought and research into their replies to requests for help. Is that possible?

Gloria E

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Gloria E wrote:
HansV wrote:
I know, but how about adopting it into this one? I, personally think it's a good idea. :fanfare:

We need to reward posters that put a lot of thought and research into their replies to requests for help. Is that possible?

Gloria E
I certainly don't speak for Eileen's Admins Gloria, but I don't need any "thumbs up" stuff in anything, here or elsewhere in my life. If I'm able, in some small way to help someone, it's enough to hear from them that my suggestions or solution worked. Keeping score, as it were, is for sports, not for helping my fellow humans with their bumps in the road. I try to run my life based on Matthew 6 and don't want any "horn blowing" thumbs up if I help someone across the street or in fixing a computer problem. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

We don't have any plans to introduce a system for rating posts. We hope and trust that our members contribute because they like helping others, not because they want to earn points, thumbs-up, or similar. A simple "thanks" should be enough reward.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Gloria E wrote: I still don't completley understand, but if you say so than I can stop wondering why it's disabled. I became concerned because I've been to programs that require admin. privileges and been told to click on it before installing or updating. So I guess that makes me a sort of substitute admin.

You're welcome. I only answered the questions you raised in your OP; I guess I could have written an essay about the differences between user accounts in Windows. But that would've been pointless since you posted it as a question in Other Applications, under the topic Belarc Advisor, and didn't mention which OS you are using.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Argus wrote:
Gloria E wrote: I still don't completley understand, but if you say so than I can stop wondering why it's disabled. I became concerned because I've been to programs that require admin. privileges and been told to click on it before installing or updating. So I guess that makes me a sort of substitute admin.

You're welcome. I only answered the questions you raised in your OP; I guess I could have written an essay about the differences between user accounts in Windows. But that would've been pointless since you posted it as a question in Other Applications, under the topic Belarc Advisor, and didn't mention which OS you are using.
FYI = I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. I hope this helps you write your essay, should you decide to write it.