Media Monkey

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Media Monkey

Post by Bigaldoc »

Of all the "music players" I've got installed, MediaMonkey has taken my fancy for a player.

They've released Version 3.2 which you can read about at the above link.

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Re: Media Monkey

Post by Pilgrim »

Al,

Some time back you directed me to GOM Player and that was by far the best of those which I had tried. BUT... later on I came across Shark007 Vista Codec Pack, which also works in XP and there is a Windows 7 version, for both 32-bit and 64-bit. This eliminated the need to install another 3rd-party player and use the default Windows Media Player. These codecs will work, however, with ANY media player and allows ANY media type to be played. So, I can play such types as .mov, .flv, .mkv, .rmvb, etc., etc. on WMP (or whatever player you like).

Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:Some time back you directed me to GOM Player and that was by far the best of those which I had tried...
I did? Hmmm, I really am gettin' old - I don't remember that.

Anyway, I'm gonna go look at your codecs link 'cause that's how come I've got so many "players" installed, i.e. MOV, FLV, etc. etc.......

Thanks for the post!

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If it's codecs you're after K-lite is a Swiss Army knife. I added it to my son's Vista laptop and Windows Media Player plays everything.
http://www.codecguide.com/

Ken

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

Bigaldoc wrote:Anyway, I'm gonna go look at your codecs link 'cause that's how come I've got so many "players" installed, i.e. MOV, FLV, etc. etc.......
Another nice thing about the Shark007 codec packages is that he is constantly updating them. Whether or not one likes WMP these codec packages allow ANY player to play ALL media types without all the plethora of "options" that 3rd-party players have which I suspect most people don't even know exist never mind really know how to configure them. So, you can use your favorite player that you are used to and not have to learn all the in's and out's of something new. :smile:
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Pilgrim wrote:Another nice thing about the Shark007 codec packages is that he is constantly updating them...
Hey Jeff, I've got a question for ya. In your first post about this package, you talked like there's a separate version for Windows 7. Did I misunderstand that, because I don't see anywhere on the web site for separate download?

BTW, the reason I'm responding to THIS post is that I procrastinated. I D/L'd the 5.5.4 package but never yet got around to installing it. This morning I see it's at 5.5.8 so I grabbed and installed that one instead. So evidently he DOES update pretty regularly.

My test was (in XP) to try WMP on Alan Miller's recent .FLV jet-missile video and WMP refused to play it. As soon as I installed the codecs, voila WMP plays the .FLV file without a problem. Thanks again. Serves my needs...

Edited a short time later: Nevermind, I found it in the Nav bar of his web page - right in front of my eyes! Sorry...

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Al, I wonder if this is the Win 7 version to which he refers?

http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

dasadler wrote:Al, I wonder if this is the Win 7 version to which he refers?

http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, that's it as I found out later. (See my edit to the post before yours)

I did both XP and Win7 and WMP is like a whole new animal!