Software to Put Metes and Bounds from Deeds on USGS Maps

BobH
UraniumLounger

Software to Put Metes and Bounds from Deeds on USGS Maps

Post by BobH »

Has anyone ever used any software that will place locations from metes and bounds descriptions onto topographical maps such as those published in the US by the USGS?

I've found one application and will give it a free trial run (Metes and Bounds by Sandy Knoll Software), but I thought I'd ask the brain trust hear for suggestions.

I intend to use it to further my genealogical research. Most of the data I have comes from land grants, deeds and other legal documents that were made before the use of geophysical coordinates became commonplace - to say nothing of GPS.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Software to Put Metes and Bounds from Deeds on USGS Maps

Post by StuartR »

Sadly, I don't know what a mete or a bound is!

(But I know now because I looked it up on that interweb thingy that my kids all use).
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See Metes and bounds. "The system has been used in England for many centuries, and is still used there in the definition of general boundaries."
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Here is another but it is NOT cheap.
DeedMapper
http://www.directlinesoftware.com/factsht.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

Metes and bounds descriptions are still quite common in describing unplatted tracts of property -- farmland, acreage, etc. I type out metes and bounds legal descriptions regularly, and know just enough to catch glaring errors. Even some Title Officers at title insurance companies have a hard time reading the descriptions, and I've caught a few errors that had been perpetuated through several deed transfers. However, I rarely try to visualize the boundaries while preparing legal docments -- it is demanding enough to accurately transcribe the description without also attempting to build a map in my brain while doing so.
Samantha

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks for the responses!

That DeedMapper looks "very interrrrresting" (to quote Artie Johnson, Laugh-In).
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs