Utility to Compare Files to Find Duplicates

BobH
UraniumLounger

Utility to Compare Files to Find Duplicates

Post by BobH »

I have a faint recollection (means I've slept more than once since I heard about it) of a utility that would search all or selected folders and compare files to find those that are identical or are named the same - and perhaps other file management functions. I believe I used this in the days before Windows.

Is there such an application? Is it part of Windows File Explorer or some other utility? I cannot remember a name for the utility.

I'm certain that my hard drives are cluttered with exact duplicates of files that I could do without. In some cases, I keep whole directories (folders) as identical backups; but for the most part I'd like to get rid of true duplicate files (not just file names).

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Utility to Compare Files to Find Duplicates

Post by HansV »

There are many such utilities, for example DoubleKiller - find and remove duplicate files (it comes in a free and a pro version).
More suggestions in duplicate file finder and find duplicate files (XP).
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Utility to Compare Files to Find Duplicates

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Hans!

I downloaded and ran DoubleKiller. Without going through nearly half the files identified, I was able to free 1.3GB of disk space.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs