Java SE 6 Update 19 released

HansV
Administrator

Java SE 6 Update 19 released

Post by HansV »

This is mostly a security update. You may be able to update from the Java control panel. Otherwise, you can download it from Java SE Downloads.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Java SE 6 Update 19 released

Post by John Gray »

Hans, have you ever come across a list of software which actually requires/uses Java? It's always intrigued me that almost nothing seems to make mention of it...

BTW updating it from the Java icon in Control Panel on my XP Pro box fails with "Uncompression of Downloaded File failed"...
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

John,
Updating from Java icon in my control panel (XP (Home)) worked okay for me
Keith
Regards,
Keith

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

John Gray wrote:Hans, have you ever come across a list of software which actually requires/uses Java? It's always intrigued me that almost nothing seems to make mention of it...
....not even by Sun.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

John Gray wrote:...have you ever come across a list of software which actually requires/uses Java?...
Not many come to mind, but the Secunia Online Software Inspector requires it.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Samantha
3StarLounger

Post by Samantha »

PaulB wrote:
John Gray wrote:...have you ever come across a list of software which actually requires/uses Java?...
Not many come to mind, but the Secunia Online Software Inspector requires it.
Not exactly. Secunia won't display the graphs if you don't use Java, but it still runs the scan, and you can patch the insecure programs.
Samantha

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Samantha, I'm not sure which graphs you're referring to as I don't see any when running Secunia OSI. Are you perhaps thinking of the Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector)? The attached graphic shows that a Java applet is loaded in order to run OSI.
Capture.PNG
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, Samantha probably meant the Secunia PSI instead of the OSI.

The PSI displays two graphs: a pie chart of the current number of patched, end-of-life and insecure applications, and a column chart of the percentage of patched applications over the last 10 weeks. These graphs use Adobe Flash Player, not Java.
PSI.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:
John Gray wrote:Hans, have you ever come across a list of software which actually requires/uses Java? It's always intrigued me that almost nothing seems to make mention of it...
....not even by Sun.
My Pogo Gamesite requires it, won't run if it's not the latest version

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

geedeearr
StarLounger

Post by geedeearr »

The National Weather Service uses (requires) it for most, if not all, of their maps in which you are able to "loop" through the images.
Java is necessary for radar looping and is best optimized using Java version 1.4.2 or higher.
gary

Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music. - George Carlin                    Image