Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Best FREE Software (Used and Rated by Loungers)

Post by Rudi »

JoeP posted a thread for a context menu tweaker. I thought I'd add it to the list if anyone has a finger "glued" to their right mouse button. :)

See the thread here: Context Menu Tweaker

PS: Another great tool for the context menu is already posted in Post No: 12307 - called "FileMenu Tools"
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

PDF Readers

Now that Foxit PDF Reader is making it more and more difficult to install itself without including assorted items of junkware, and because I really dislike the Foxit toolbar/command area, I've had a very brief look at:

Nitro PDF Reader
We already use their (paid-for) PDF creation software, and the Nitro PDF Reader interface is much 'cleaner' than Foxit PDF Reader, with a somewhat ribbon-like area (which unfortunately uses quite a lot of vertical space). But seems promising!

Sumatra PDF Reader
This is designed as a minimalist, small, portable PDF Reader, and is open-source. It contains a single EXE file, less than 1.7 Mb in size, and will display just one PDF at a time..
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Keep in mind that Nitro PDF Reader is still in beta. On the one hand it has features generally not found in PDF readers, on the other hand it doesn't have browser plug-ins (yet), so you can't use it to view PDF content on the web, and users complain that it is sluggish and prone to crashing. This will no doubt be improved in future versions.

Sumatra is ideal if you only want to view small PDF files; for larger files the lack of tools might be a problem.

I do find the sneaky way Foxit tries to foist extras on the user annoying, but I still love its speed.
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I've seen some folks touting Tracker Software Products :: PDF-XChange Viewer, Free PDF Reader recently. I looked at it and did not like the plethora of tool bars. It also is very fast, has browser plugins, includes an ifilter for search indexing, and can make minimal changes to pdfs. A portable version is also available.
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

tomyrush wrote:I use " defraggler"
from
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use this, too. It's by the same people who do CCleaner.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

rossco
Lounger

Post by rossco »

This is not really stand-alone software but a free Excel addin which I constantly use as it adds over 300 functionalities to Excel.

http://www.asap-utilities.com/index.php

For example:
  • Deselect cells in your selection
    Apply formula to selected cells
    Conditional select cells: for example select cells greater than 12 or all red cells
    Advanced sorting: for example sort by color
    Copy a worksheet's page and print settings
    Vision control: view workbooks, sheets and easily change their settings
    Print multiple sheets
    Sort sheets
    Create index page of sheets
    Color each n'th row or column in selection (color banding)
    File import and export tools (txt, csv, dbf, xls, gif, jpg, html, etc.)
    Export selection as HTML table (including formats, colors etc.)
    Assign your own shortcuts to the utilities you use the most

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Would someone recommend an application to convert a chm file to pdf?
I tried one called Universal Document Converter but it only converted the first page.
(My chm does not have a table of contents, it just shows page numbers - maybe it's corrupted
in some way?)
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Not something I do every day/year/century, but there are a whole bunch here...
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Thank you but I was looking for a recommendation, particularly noting the problem I mentioned.
Ta, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Peter S
NewLounger

Post by Peter S »

My recommendation: REVO Uninstaller. This program is available as freeware and there is a also a paid "professional" version. The program uninstalls programs and tidies up many/most of the fragments often left over on you PC after more "conventional" un-installs.

It is available http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'll second Revo. In fact, now that you mention it, I'm surprised this thread hasn't mentioned it before as there are many of us here that do use it. Just be careful when using the reg.scan options. Look at and read carefully the keys it is suggesting be removed, don't just blindly click through the steps.

Ken

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:I'll second Revo. In fact, now that you mention it, I'm surprised this thread hasn't mentioned it before as there are many of us here that do use it. Just be careful when using the reg.scan options. Look at and read carefully the keys it is suggesting be removed, don't just blindly click through the steps.
Two good points, Ken.

On your cautionary statement, I made this post back in February and have been very careful ever since that time.

PS I did take the suggestions following my post and now use Foxit !!!

Ted Myers
4StarLounger

Post by Ted Myers »

If your one of the unlucky ones to get an infection, downloading something to 'fix' it, including an 'online' scanner can be impossible. I suggest downloading monthly SuperAntiSpyware Portable. http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html
If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have NO luck at all.
Windows 11 Home 23H2 Laptop

Peter S
NewLounger

Post by Peter S »

Ken: You are right. Use Revo Uninstaller with Caution (and indeed all software that potentially changes system/registry files). Having said that, I have not (yet!) had any problems with Revo even with deep scans. It is VERY important to look at the "tree" of entries offered and to only delete the bold entries. Deleting a bold "root" on the assumption that all branches leading from it can be safely deleted can be very costly! I work "from bottom upwards" and it has never failed me (yet!)
(My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core CPU; MSI X570-A PRO Mobo; Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 32GB RAM; 2TB Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 M.2 NVMe SSD. 1TB SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD; 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; Nvidia GeForce TX 2060 Super Ventus Graphics Card (SLI); Microsoft 365 Home; Condusiv SSDKeeper Professional; Acronis TI 2020 Premium, VMWare Workstation 15 Player. HP 1TB USB SSD External Backup Drive). Dell G-Sync 144Hz Monitor.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Don't know if this has been mentioned but a new version of FastStone Capture has been released however there is a charge for it SO for the benefit of any who don't feel like forking out cash, the earlier version 3.5 which still performs adequately, can be downloaded from here http://www.divshare.com/download/launch/669904-92d. I was also informed today of another freebie that I find works a treat, making a Collage is as simple as A.B.C. with CollageIT. http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/collage ... /?activate Cheers Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The last freeware version of FastStone Capture is in fact 5.3 (available from the link posted by Dave Davison). From version 5.4 (released in May 2007), new versions have been shareware instead of freeware.

The download link for CollageIt on the Giveaway of the day site is Giveaway of the Day. Today: CollageIt 1.2.2. But keep in mind that the offer is valid only one day - you must not only download it but also install and activate it that day. And the giveaway license usually doesn't include updates.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Please check the link in post # 12832, it seems to be dead!!!!!! Thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It had changed from .htm to .html - fixed now - see post 12832.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I have not read the entire thread but I find "FreeStudioManager" a great resource as among it's capabilities it allows me to extract audio from video as well as convert audio to mp3. & etc.... http://free-studio-manager.en.softonic.com/ Great thread this, hope it continues to grow, lots of great progs to try. Regards Dave.

Sundog
5StarLounger

Post by Sundog »

tomyrush wrote:Belarc Advisor http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html Tom
Two additional important features of Belarc Advisor:
Its listing shows the software keys that were on that CD case you misplaced: Key: 3JPXH-7J6KF-2JJC9-XBBR8-HVTJH.
Its listing shows all the Microsoft security hotfixes, including those that failed verification (a security vulnerability)
Sundog