Wise Disk Cleaner Pro

BobH
UraniumLounger

Wise Disk Cleaner Pro

Post by BobH »

Does anyone here have experience with this program? It is the offer of the day from Giveaway of the Day (yeah, I know, it might be worth less than I paid for it :scratch: ). It is a disk and registry clean up program.

The first time I ran it to clean up disk file detritus, it identified 3700 files as candidates for deletion. That number boggles my mind because I just ran CCleaner a day or two ago; and it NEVER identifies that many files to be swept away. The number is far too great to explore each individually, but all were identified by the default file extensions suggested by the program.

Either this is a far better tool than CCleaner for ridding one's disk drive of clutter, or it is the death knell to continued undisturbed use of the computer. I am loath to be the guinea pig because I have just been through HDD failures on 2 other computers and the recovery of applications and files thereon. I'm not ready to go through that process again so soon.

Anyone?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: Wise Disk Cleaner Pro

Post by HansV »

Wise Disk Cleaner has received reasonably positive reviews, but be careful - not all files with a "junk" extension such as .bak or .tmp can be deleted safely. Fortunately, you can let the program move files to the recycle bin or (in the Pro version) to a folder of your choice, so that you can move them back if a program starts acting up.
Personally, I'd avoid this one - CCleaner may not remove as much, but it has never caused problems for me, and disk space is cheap nowadays.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Hans!

But I plunged ahead, already (after reading half a dozen reviews). I did a scan with CCleaner (without clean-up) and a scan with Wise Disk Cleaner (again without clean-up) and the differences were astounding. I have screenshots of the results.

I then loaded Wise Disk Cleaner again and set the options to move deleted files to a folder of my making, created the folder, and rescanned. This time I completed the process and allowed WDC to clean the disk. It has been reporting that it is zipping the file for almost an hour now. I don't know if that means that the program is hung or that the amount of data removed is so huge that creating a .zip file takes this long. I thought I'd let it continue to run to see if it goes to completion.

Somebody has to be a guinea pig (I suppose). :time: :time:

:bagged:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Wise Disk Cleaner Pro - FOLLOW UP !!

Post by BobH »

Just in case anyone else finds this on a search sometime, I thought I'd post my results and the comparison I made between Wise Disk Cleaner (WDC) and CCleaner (CC)

Scan results:
WDC: 3773 files 682.68 MB
CC: 116 files 71.1 MB

(This after having run CCleaner last 2 days ago.)

I ran WDC and then did their clean up and saved the files in a folder in case I needed to restore anything. The files removed were zipped into a file of 346.2 MB; so I think it removed a net of about 300 MB compared with the 71 MB that CC said could be deleted.

I have been running the computer without reboot for several hours and have had NO PROBLEMS. Although it's probably just another instance of the Hawthorne effect at work, the computer seems to be running much, much faster. Programs load faster (or seem too) and files seem to save and open faster. This without running a defrag. I plan to do that tonight and will use the WDC defrag function when I do.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for keeping us informed about your experiences with this utility.
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Re: Wise Disk Cleaner Pro - FOLLOW UP !!

Post by Pilgrim »

BobH wrote:Just in case anyone else finds this on a search sometime, I thought I'd post my results and the comparison I made between Wise Disk Cleaner (WDC) and CCleaner (CC)

Scan results:
WDC: 3773 files 682.68 MB
CC: 116 files 71.1 MB
You may find the following comparison, which is quite extensive, to be of some interest.

Read the comparison HERE
Jeff

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please note that the comparison that Pilgrim pointed to was performed by the developer of the utility that finished best. This does not necessarily invalidate the comparison, but the tests may have been "optimized" for that utility.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Hmm, Hans may have a point there.

Consider how Abexo comes out at number three in the final list with no highlighting to suggest it may cause more harm that good, yet under 'reg. cleaning accuracy' the same product "Wanted to delete HKCR\.exe as an invalid key, clearly a bad idea".

Lies, dam lies & statistics?

Ken

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:Please note that the comparison that Pilgrim pointed to was performed by the developer of the utility that finished best. This does not necessarily invalidate the comparison, but the tests may have been "optimized" for that utility.
That is a valid point. I've seen many "salted" comparisons of products whose results are less than credible. HOWEVER, jv16 PowerTools has been around for ages and has passed the test of time and received the thumbs up of countless users. I would venture to guess that there are even members on this board who would highly recommend jv16 PowerTools as being safe, reliable and developed by an individual who actually listens to feedback, corrects bugs in a very timely fashion and is known for his integrity.

So, on that note, I would suggest that the comparison is worthy of consideration. I for one am one of those users who started using this product many years ago when it was freeware. In fact, I did beta testing for the developer in its early stages. It has emerged as one fine product. :grin:
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't want to disparage the quality of jv16 PowerTools 2009, but I find it a bit suspicious that Macecraft adds 1,000 test errors to the registry, and their own product is the only one that finds all 1,000...

And according to their own tests the previous version, jv16 PowerTools 2008, is rather mediocre... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Pilgrim
2StarLounger

Post by Pilgrim »

HansV wrote:I don't want to disparage the quality of jv16 PowerTools 2009, but I find it a bit suspicious that Macecraft adds 1,000 test errors to the registry, and their own product is the only one that finds all 1,000...
Well, you just did disparage jv16 PowerTools 2009. :rofl:

Image if your apprehension of the developer's/application's credibility is only based upon your personal "gut feeling" after reading the comparison, then perhaps it is ill-founded. Image

On the other hand, I can speak from years of actually using, testing and comparing it to other similar programs. Now, I am in no way suggesting that my years of experience equal an infallible and definitive judgment on the matter. But I do feel more comfortable knowing what I do giving a hearty and confident Image to jv16 PowerTools.

Bottom line... jv16 PowerTools has a proven track record. Anyone can download and try it and evaluate it for themselves. They don't have to accept Macecraft's comparison results nor a recommendation from a pion like myself.

BTW the upcoming upgrade has significant improvements and it will be offered FREE to all current license holders. The company likewise let all "RegSupreme & Pro" owners upgrade to the full jv16 PowerTools for FREE when they dropped that line. Methinks this speaks much for the company. :smile:
Jeff

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Pilgrim wrote:Well, you just did disparage jv16 PowerTools 2009
Forgive me but I wish, ever so politely :gent: , to disagree with you. Hans' comments were directed at the nature of the testing method.

As for jv16 PowerTools, I'll take your experience and hearty recommendation, along with many similar previous positive comments by other Loungers in the past, over Macecraft's advertising (for that is what this comparison is) any day.

:cheers:

Ken