Windows 8 Consumer Preview

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Post by PaulB »

Took a quick tour of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview site to see if perhaps I should install it. I ran the 'compatibility' section of the setup.exe and was very surprised to see that MS Security Essentials will not run under Windows 8. This was the only item identified as an issue. Apart from Windows Defender, is MS abandoning the AV business, or will they be releasing MSE or a substitute for Win 8?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Post by HansV »

The version of Windows Defender in Windows 8 is more or less a built-in version of Microsoft Security Essentials.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks, Hans. That's a relief to know.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

PaulB wrote:Apart from Windows Defender, is MS abandoning the AV business, or will they be releasing MSE or a substitute for Win 8?
If anything they are moving forward in the AV segment with different tools, some for offline use etc.

As Hans said, there is pretty much the same functionality now. But they have also integrated it with some other new parts of Windows 8.

The Windows Defender of Windows 7 (and Vista) used antispyware definitions to protect the PC against spyware and some unwanted software, as you know.

In Windows 8 they have added functionality; they are using all the signatures they have; it's a new Windows Defender. (And it looks pretty much identical to Microsoft Security Essentials.)

From an installation:
2012-03-01_A.png
Protecting you from malware (Building Windows 8 - An inside look from the Windows engineering team)

And from the Windows 8 CP FAQ:
Where can I get more information about consumer security software providers?
Windows 8 Consumer Preview comes with Windows Defender, which provides antimalware protection to monitor and help protect your PC against viruses and other malware in real time. If you want to install other antimalware or antivirus software, visit the Security software providers for Windows 8 Consumer Preview page to find out what works with Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
A link to security software providers for Windows 8 (at this early stage) can also be found on the page for all Windows versions; they've already added the Windows 8 CP. :grin:

It's not part of your question, since you are merely asking if there will be some AV software in Windows 8, but it was a result of using the compatibility test; even if it’s possible I wouldn't use the Consumer Preview to upgrade a current OS, it's a beta not a RC. Unless of course it was part of my work to test upgrade features. Obviously there’s no way back but using installation/recovery media or a backup image.

As for compatibility tests, I usually don't run such since most of the time they are nitpicking about software not going to be used anyhow etc. But I can understand if some want to do that with the final product, if they are planning to follow the upgrade route, but now, with no final product? Guess MS would like some feedback on the upgrade. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Thanks for elaborating, Argus. And, as you point out, this is a beta release not a RC. I think I will wait for a RC before proceeding any further.
Regards,
Paul

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You're welcome.
What I meant was that I don't think it's a good idea to try the preview on the only working computer that's around, even if it's possible to use an image to restore everything including user data; in that scenario, working with the preview, one would need an exit strategy, how to move the new user data back to the old OS when it is restored. It's possible of course, with some different methods, but one should be aware of it. Another, perhaps larger, problem in that scenario might be odd software and drivers for devices; and with only one PC one is then :boxedin:

With an extra drive, partition or virtual machine it's a dif0ferent matter, then it's easy to try the preview, and it can be fun to try the new features, UI etc.

I don't remember how previous versions have worked, it's possible that one can upgrade directly from the RC to the final product without problems, I think there were some that did that with Windows 7. And it's possible it might work with the CP, but since that one is one "milestone" earlier there might be problems.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.