Just messing around

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Just messing around

Post by viking33 »

Just trying things out with Windows 8 and IE 10, developer versions.
Things look pretty much the same here in the Lounge but have to get used to the toolbars or lack of them or how to enable/disable them. More learning curve time needed. :scratch:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Just messing around

Post by Argus »

Good to know; on the other hand, shouldn't it, it isn't the Lounge that has changed, it's the OS. :grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus wrote:Good to know; on the other hand, shouldn't it, it isn't the Lounge that has changed, it's the OS. :grin:
Yep, Win 8 is really heavily oriented to touchscreens and smartphones, neither of which I have. ( or want ) :chatter: :hiding:
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Hi again Bob. Arriving via the Developer Preview, and IE10, :shudder: :laugh: (and a virtual machine; been testing it for some time).

It sure aint ready, as expected, but more will come soon; a Consumer Preview in a few weeks, as you probably know. The problem with IE, in my mind, isn't so much the by default disabled toolbars etc. they can be enabled, and then it looks pretty much as in the old days, but it has a "heritage" of cluttered settings, bad favourite management etc. that never seem to change, even though they, as most, do change things under the hood. So the IE UI isn't per se a big problem for me; but then we have the ribbon UI in Windows Explorer etc. it takes some time to get used to, but I think I can live with that. Guess they have to do something to keep "oldtimers" on their toes. :grin:

That said, I_do_not like the new start screen, all the talk about "apps", and the clunky Metro UI, on a desktop. As I read somewhere, maybe in comments over at MSFT or at the Register, if this doesn't kill the desktop, nothing will. A huge amount of people are pretty static at their work, in one place in front of a computer; also, all gamers out there favour the desktop, since it can be upgraded very easily.

They seem to assume that everyone has some kind of slates, tablets, one or several smart phones, twitter & facebook accounts, what more? Milk in their coffee? Or should have. :grin: Arrgh. Well, it's almost that bad, an awful lot of people do have such accounts, and milk in their coffee. :laugh:

(I guess most people being mobile with their PC still use a notebook, though a lot are moving to netbooks, or similar, but still not many touch screens. I also have no problem with smart phones, just the tought that the UI should be universal; all just to be able to sell some more phones since people are used to the UI from somwhere else, their computers. Ah well, as you know there have been quite a lot of comments over at the MSFT blog.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Right on all counts, Argus.
It seems for me at least, I will continue on with Windows 7 for the immediate future. ( with Firefox and Thunderbird )
I did reluctantly give up XP after quite some time. Did I also do that with DOS 6.22??? Probably. My "smartphone" is that thing on the wall with the on\off switch that can give me a bit of peace without all of the unwanted "important calls." The switch is the most important smart feature. :grin: :cloud9:
BOB

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

viking33 wrote:... My "smartphone" is that thing on the wall with the on\off switch that can give me a bit of peace without all of the unwanted "important calls." The switch is the most important smart feature.
I know your thread is about Windows, but I can't help but comment on the phone part.

I never had a mobile (smart?) phone until my wife needed my 24/7 care at home, even before she went into the nursing home. I got one (for each of us) so that she could get me with two button presses, no matter where I was at the time. I was still working part time at KET during those five years.

After she went to the nursing home, my cell phone became my lifeline with the nursing home in case there were "emergencies" with Billie. AND, there were several such instances in the 8 years she was there, including the night she passed away. I used to keep the cell phone under my pillow back then so I wouldn't miss a call. No one, other than the "important" people in my life knows my cell number so I get ZERO annoyance calls there ( :crossfingers: ).

On the other hand, my landline phone, over the years became a useless appendage since I never used it and the only calls I ever received there were solicitations or political calls from people like Pat Boone. Six months ago I took the plunge and turned OFF the landline and haven't looked back ever since.

Sorry for the off-track philosophy but I just wanted to give my opinion on mobile phones and their possible value.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yep, those switches are great, Bob. :grin:
I should have added that since they are also aiming for those ARM based tablets they will probably be using the new UI, apps etc. on those, so on a notebook or desktop there will probably be both the new and "old". And also, it's too early to say anything; previews, and especially a developer preview, are just that; they could even show only some parts of the software, OS. We don't even know what kind of editions there will be.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Of course, one other HUGE reason for keeping my landline is to have DSL access.
Cable is way down on the list because we have all underground utilities and running a ditch digger all the way from the street to my house, doesn't appeal to me or my wallet. TV is via satellite and I suppose I could get on the net with it's dish capabilities but storms can interrupt those services too often, in this area anyway.
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

What do you think about the Windows 8 CP, Bob?

Quite a bit more polished, as expected; more things are working.

But the interface... I have no problem with the Metro UI, but with a mixed UI...

They have gathered a lot of settings for apps, their notifications, user settings, lock screen etc. under something called PC settings, in a Metro UI; that would be fine if you lived all your life outside the Desktop, reading :censored: tweets, looking at weather apps etc. But say that you indeed do some work on the desktop, and want to change some settings for an account, then you'll find this in the Control Panel; you can change some settings, but not all:
2012-03-03_A.png
And the link takes you to the User settings in the Metro UI "PC settings".
2012-03-03_B.png
That is, suddenly you have started something outside the Desktop environment, that needs to be closed when finished, and of course it's closed in the Metro UI way: by dragging it downwards...

Completely insane, a modal switch so giant I don't know what to say.

And of course, the Account picture isn't found under "Users", it's found under Personalize…
True, it's not about the account per se, but still.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus,
Overall, I think Win 8 is rather "clunky." Too geared to the smartphone and touchscreen users, for my taste.
I'm embarrassed to say I had to search for the Start menu and how to get out of it, to restart or shut down. ( amongst other things )
i know a new OS will require a new learning curve but I thought it would be a little more user friendly?
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:And of course, the Account picture isn't found under "Users", it's found under Personalize…
True, it's not about the account per se, but still.
BTW, we all need to be careful when selecting that account picture...

If you select "Express settings" during setup it will use some default settings, as usual, some of them now related to apps (isn''t :censored: confusing when they on the one hand talk about apps as those small thingies giving you market data, weather forecasts etc, and sometimes use it for all applications, such as Word, Excel etc.; indeed it's just a short form of "application", but then it becomes really silly when Sinofsky, Harris et al says that "Windows 8 is all about apps"; well, every OS is about applications, because without them there wouldn't be much to do...), and one of those default settings is related to how apps may use your user name and account picture to give you "personalised content". For every new OS they are adding more personalised content; based on location, now name and account picture. :groan:
2012-03-01_A1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Yep, at first run it was a bit clunky closing the Desktop, but as usual it can be done in several ways.
You have already found your way around it, but for me it was first the long way (since Alt-F4 didn't work on the Start screen).

Start, (either via Winkey or hot corner), then the user icon, log off, then at the lock screen hit Enter or Spacebar, at the log in screen use the power button. :laugh:

Then there is the Charm bar, not as convoluted as the above; right hand corner drag at the right side, click settings, then Shut down.

But they usually don't kill old short cuts, so at the Desktop, with it in focus, just hit Alt-F4, and you'll get the old close dialogue, and it's ready to use the last one, so Alt-F4 and Enter will shut down the PC.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Argus wrote:Start, (either via Winkey or hot corner), then the user icon, log off, then at the lock screen hit Enter or Spacebar, at the log in screen use the power button. :laugh:
Argus wrote:That is, suddenly you have started something outside the Desktop environment, that needs to be closed when finished, and of course it's closed in the Metro UI way: by dragging it downwards...
Two minor corrections:
- At the Lock screen one can press just about any key, not only Space or Enter, but I tend to hit the biggest, closest etc.
- Closing a running app can of course be done the old way, as I mentioned when shutting down the PC from the Desktop, they have just added another way for those that just have to point with their fingers on the screen, or for some reason doesn't have a keyboard; so one can of course close PC settings with Alt-F4.

Still, since the Desktop now is just another app it seems quite awkward to start another app, outside of Desktop, PC settings, to change some of the account settings. Guess it could be related to the new order with the possibility to not use a local account. Or they just want to remind everyone about the Metro UI. But jumping back and forth between different UIs doesn't look good.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Argus, you have some handy tips and info in there. I go into win 8 whenever I feel the need to change the order of things in my mind.
I don't think I'll be rushing into this OS whenever it's released but I probably said that about DOS to Windows? :laugh: :scratch:
BOB

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have moved this topic from the Test forum to the Beta Software forum, as the discussions about Windows 8 may be of interest to people and are more likely to be seen here.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:I have moved this topic from the Test forum to the Beta Software forum, as the discussions about Windows 8 may be of interest to people and are more likely to be seen here.
Thanks, Stuart.
Good move. What started as a just a test of some Win 8 "features," evolved into a more serious discussion of the OS.
BOB

westerneagle
2StarLounger

Post by westerneagle »

viking33 wrote: My "smartphone" is that thing on the wall with the on\off switch that can give me a bit of peace without all of the unwanted "important calls." The switch is the most important smart feature. :grin: :cloud9:
Or......you could do it this way....my favorite...... http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2012/03 ... ble_757896

:laugh:
Mike J