Firefox 6.0 Beta 5

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Firefox 6.0 Beta 5

Post by Gloria E »

Has anyone installed the Beta 5 version? I generally shy away from any program in beta.

I was informed today that it's available.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Re: Firefox 6.0 Beta 5

Post by HansV »

Why don't you wait? Firefox 6.0 (the 'definitive' version) is due to be released in just 10 days, on August 16.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

OK, I'll wait. I suppose FF will inform me that the updates available, right? I've made a note on my calendar just in case it doesn't.

Thanks for the heads up.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The automatic update may come a day or two after the official release.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:The automatic update may come a day or two after the official release.
I don't use Automatic Updates, never have & never will. Good thing I made that note.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Thanks Hans, Have you installed it yet? If so, what's your assesment?

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have installed it both at home and at work. One of the things it disabled was the Skype plugin, and there doesn't appear an update for that yet. So if you use Skype in Firefox, you may want to wait. Apart from that, it appears to work OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Firefox 6.0 has been installed. I don't know if this is a problem or not, but when I reloaded Firefox and clicked on Add-ons Manager the only thing visible was the words: Loading. It sat there with nothing loading for over five minutes, I finally closed Firefox. Is there something wrong with the program?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I had that too the first time after installing. Click on Plugins, then on Extensions - that worked for me.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

It worked for me too, thank you.
Java Console 6.0.26 was not compatible with FireFox 6.0 and was disabled.
I disabled No Script 2.1.2.6 rc7, I don't remember chosing it in the first place and after I looked at it's options, I was overwhelmed. There were options I didn't understand so how could I make choices when I had no idea what those choices would create.

I don't think I need Java Console either.

Gloria E

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The Java plugin will still work, you don't need the Java console for that.

NoScript is a plugin that by default disables scripting in all websites. Since all malware is activated by a script, this is an extremely effective way to prevent malware. But of course, it also blocks all legitimate, useful application of scripting - Eileen's Lounge, for example, couldn't work without scripting. NoScript lets you decide on a site-by-site basis which ones you trust, and allow to execute scripts. In the beginning it's very annoying because almost nothing will work, but in time, you'll have enabled all the sites that you visit regularly and that you trust, and you'll hardly notice the presence of NoScript.

But the choice is yours, of course.
Best wishes,
Hans

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Java console is dust. As for NoScript, I don't have the time nor the inclination to fool around with it's settings or allowing sites that should be allowed (I don't want it messing around with the lounge), so it's dust too.

Best Regards,

Gloria E