Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper

JoeP
SilverLounger

Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper

Post by JoeP »

A new beta recovery tool from Microsoft to clean a badly infected PC - Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper.

Joe
Last edited by JoeP on 31 May 2011, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.
Joe

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper

Post by John Gray »

I tried the 32-bit version of Microsoft System Sweeper beta on XP Pro, and it required me to install IMAPI v2.0 (and reboot) so that it could burn the CD from the 205.5 MB download.

Those familiar with Windows Defender and/or Microsoft Security Essentials will note a remarkable similarity in the interface, although all the dates and times are in US format (boo...).

The Full scan on my 20-odd GB C: drive would have taken about 5 hours, I reckon, so I cancelled it after half an hour and tried the Quick scan, which took about 5 minutes.

You can update the definitions (presumably 'in memory' if you have booted from a CD or DVD), but probably the best medium to use is an USB Flash Drive, where (I presume) the updated definitions can be written when downloaded from "the internet".

I'd see it as just another tool in the anti-malware armoury. But the full scan is agonisingly slow, and you would instead seriously consider restoring from the disk image you make recently using Shadow Protect, Macrium Reflect (free) or Acronis TrueImage (if the latter works properly!)... You do use a disk-imaging tool regularly, don't you?
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper

Post by JoeP »

Well, it is BETA. I would expect that for a generalized recovery tool that a full scan would be very slow particularly if it is trying to find "rootkits and other advanced malware" although perhaps it should not be agonizing. I'd expect the scanning speed to be improved but maybe not. I'm also not surprised at the lack of internationalization for a beta.

I also agree that it should be just another tool. Even though you can update definitions if at all possible it would be better to download a new version of the tool and use a USB flash drive.

I've been making full backups of my home systems since I needed 25 or more diskettes to accomplish the task. Now that was agonizing.

Joe
Joe