Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

Post by Bigaldoc »

I recently purchased the above product after being a PSP user for many years. I left my previous version (PSP 10) installed so both are available to me.

I also use a clipboard extender called ClipMate Clipboard Extender and have also used it for many years. I think it's time I start looking for a FREE replacement and I'll post a thread in the software forum soliciting recommendations. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in the old Lounge who uses ClipMate.

Here's the problem. Every time I EXIT PSP X2, the function of ClipMate is DISABLED and I'm unable to copy anything to the clipboard. Chris Thornton the ClipMate author told me how to re-activate it without a restart, but it's a pain.

Some of you may know that dealing with Corel is a long, drawn out process and takes a good bit of time. Yesterday I got a response from them telling me to change a preference in X2 for one of three choices of what to do with the clipboard on exit: delete, ask or leave it alone. None of the three choices eliminates the disabling of ClipMate so I've gone back to Corel looking for more help. If I run the "old" PSP 10 I do not have this problem, so it's definitely something Corel did in the release of X2. Just a heads up for Corel PSP users.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't want this to be a Corel bashing thread but I would like to let you know what happened in my attempts to get support for the above problem. I purchased Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate on 8 December 2009.

After trying a few other clipboard enhancer programs (three) Pilgrim recommended one that works OK with PSP X2. But three others failed on exit from PSP. I went through a series of four or five message exchanges with Corel Support and got no good answers. Finally, overnight there was a message that I need to call and try telephone support to fix the problem. This is a FEE BASED call and the rep will "decide" if I have to pay or not! When I asked about a refund the answer was no refunds after 30 days.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just in case anyone wants to read my exchange with Chris Thornton, the author of ClipMate and I think a very knowledgeable person about this topic.

The thread is here: ClipMate Support Forum

Edited to add: My dialogue with both Corel and Chris Thornton is ongoing. Corel had me download a trial version of X3 that didn't fix the problem, so the saga continues in Chris' forum. (8 February 2010)

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Bigaldoc wrote:I don't want this to be a Corel bashing thread but I would like to let you know what happened in my attempts to get support for the above problem. I purchased Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate on 8 December 2009.
Trouble being Bigaldoc that Corel has done little to stop being bashed. Like yourself I've been a long time user of PSP from version 5 to 7 to 12 and judging by the reviews of the newest X3 it looks like Paintshop Pro or whatever they call it now has died a death. Not much new and little advancements from previous versions ( I still think v7 was the best for all round use ) and Corel seem disinterested in developing it further. I'm looking to switch to photoshop elements latest. I understand GIMP and Paint.NET are pretty good ( and free), the reason I've stuck with PSP was the amount of books and tutorials written, same reason pushing me to photoshop elements. Also, I'm quite a fan of Serif software and I'm tempted to give their PhotoPlus a trial http://www.serif.com/photoplus/ but again, not many hardcopy books available. Sorry gone a bit off topic here. None of this helps you I realise, but if you bought PSPX2 in December 2009 I thought you might be entitled to a reduced upgrade to X3
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

jaystarter wrote:... judging by the reviews of the newest X3 it looks like Paintshop Pro or whatever they call it now has died a death...
That may be true. If this X3 "trial" version they had me download (from a special URL) is the same thing as the "production" version being sold on their web, I wouldn't pay for it. It's just about the same product as X2, but is so SLOW that it's almost unbearable. I plan on removing it from my system today. I've been somewhat used to slow STARTUP with PSP through several versions, but this one is much worse.

To be perfectly honest about it, the only reason I keep using PSP is that it's like a comfortable pair of shoes. I'm used to how to do the stuff I usually do and I've had a hard time learning to do the same things with Gimp or Paint.Net. PSP 10 works OK for me and I think I'll keep using that for awhile.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Yes, it seems many are complaining about slowness: this may be of interest http://improvepsp.blogspot.com/ though his anger may be clouding sound judgment
Jeff

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

jaystarter wrote:Yes, it seems many are complaining about slowness: this may be of interest http://improvepsp.blogspot.com/ though his anger may be clouding sound judgment
I'm gonna reply before I read your link so as to report only MY experience. When I downloaded X3 it took well over an hour when it was all said and done.

Running the program is very slow, no matter what function within the program I choose.

I'm in the process of using Revo Uninstaller to remove PSP X3 and as many of you know, the first thing Revo does is run the program's installer. The X3 uninstaller has been running for an HOUR as I type this, with no other use of the computer! It says right now that it's at 75% complete. Disgusting!

I think that's all I should say. Buyer beware. As we all know software (sometimes) behaves differently because of hardware or other software, but this is absolutely too much.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I was a Beta tester on X2 and and a few before that. We complained about the slowness then and nothing was done or even commented on about it. I was no longer invited back after I agreed with others and complained even harder that it needed to be fixed. I have NOT seen X3 and mostly will not. Just my "2cents:
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living