Learning to use WordPress

CharliesDaughter
Lounger

Learning to use WordPress

Post by CharliesDaughter »

Some years back I used Microsoft Front Page and developed a website for my boss' law firm; quick and easy and not a lot of challengs which was right up my alley for my level of knowledge at that time, and great for him because he wasn't sure he wanted a website anyway at that time and wasn't about to pay big bucks to get a professional to do it for him.

We've been using that site ever since but recently I went in to make some changes and found that our web host doesn't support Front Page any longer. They are suggesting a convert to WordPress, and I've been doing some research on it. A lot of what I'm reading seems to point to Wordpress being great for developing blogs - which we don't have and never will. Yet I think from what the web host tells me I should still be able to use WordPress.

Does anyone use WordPress? Do you recommend it? I'm seeing some online courses, but thought I would try to find something at one of the local colleges so I could get some good training and not have to spend hours trying to find help when/if I run into problems converting our website. Once thing the web host told me was that they would get WordPress installed on my computure for me and then I could work with converting what we have - I don't know fit means I can import my Front Page files into Word Press or if I would have to create new pages in WordPress.

I guess I'm looking for some opinions from those using it, to some guidance as to where I can go to learn this stuff!

Thanks

CD

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Re: Learning to use WordPress

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I found WordPress for Dummies by Lisa Sabin-Wilson comprehensive and helpful. I didn't find WordPress as easy to learn and use as FrontPage.

As an alternative I would be inclined to recommend you consider MS Expression Web to recreate and future maintain your site. See the Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web Article ID: 2511858 - Last Review: February 22, 2011 - Revision: 4.0 at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;2511858

There is a learning curve to work through as the MS article makes clear; it is not a WYSIWYG editor and you will need to have or acquire some knowledge of HTML and CSS.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Learning to use WordPress

Post by ChrisGreaves »

CharliesDaughter wrote:... Wordpress being great for developing blogs - which we don't have and never will. Yet I think from what the web host tells me I should still be able to use WordPress.
I use WordPress for both blogs and web sites (I use alternate tools, too).
I wrote up part of my journey here
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle