The Lounge's spoiler tag

DollyP
Lounger

The Lounge's spoiler tag

Post by DollyP »

Does anyone know how to emulate the lounge's spoiler tag in html/css? I can make invisible text appear when highlighted but I particular like the hide/show links.

David

HansV
Administrator

Re: The Lounge's spoiler tag

Post by HansV »

You can see the source code for our spoiler tag here: Spoiler BBCode. It involves some JavaScript.
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

DollyP wrote:Does anyone know how to emulate the lounge's spoiler tag in html/css? I can make invisible text appear when highlighted but I particular like the hide/show links.

David
Probably not what you are looking for but it will give you some pointers using :hover and uses CSS only, I only have FF and IE 6 on this machine so cannot test it on a full range of browsers (alas it does not work in IE6)

Code: Select all

<html>
<title>Use CSS to Show/Hide a DIV</title>
<style>
#spoiler {
border-color:#000000;
border:solid 1px;
padding:6px;
text-align:left;
font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size:0.8 em;
color:#FFFFFF;
background-color:#FFFFFF;
margin-top:0;
width:600px;
}

#spoiler:hover {
color:#00DD99;
border-top:solid 1px;
border-left:solid 1px;
border-right:solid 1px;
}

h3 {
border-color:#999999;
font-size:0.8em;
color:#000000;
background-color:#DDDDDD;
margin-bottom:0;
}  
</style>

<body>

<h3>Spoiler [hover mouse below]</h3>
			<div id="spoiler">peek-a-boo</div>

</body>
</html>

Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Thanks for replies.

Hans: I tried to get your code to work in a website as distinct from a BB but couldn't get it to work. It did give me some pointers as to how to proceed and I found some appropriate code samples. I eventually found an excellent example through Stu Nichols' excellent website CssPlay http://www.stunicholls.com/various/jque ... -less.html that does what I want with different styling.

Jezza: Your suggested code is very interesting as it does not use Javascript or jquery, something that I have read on many sites as being impossible. I am nervous about using js for many reasons, not least that I like to understand what my code is doing (whether Basic, vba or web). Your code is simplicity itself. I will be experimenting with it over the weekend and will report back here.

Regards
david

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Jezza

I've tested your code and it works perfectly well and nicely with Firefox 5 (Win7x64), with the spoiler text showing whilst on hover. However it doesn't work at all with IE9 so though neat and code light, its a non starter.

Regards
David

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

DollyP wrote:Jezza

I've tested your code and it works perfectly well and nicely with Firefox 5 (Win7x64), with the spoiler text showing whilst on hover. However it doesn't work at all with IE9 so though neat and code light, its a non starter.

Regards
David
That's a pity, I have a theory which I will work on in regards to parent tags and get back to you
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

DollyP wrote:Jezza

Regards
David
Try this little tweak

<html>
<title>Use CSS to Show/Hide a DIV</title>
<style>
#spoiler a{
border-color:#000000;
border:solid 1px;
font-size:0.8 em;
color:#FFFFFF;
background-color:#FFFFFF;
margin-top:0;
}

a:hover {text-indent: 0;} 

#spoiler a:hover {
color:#00DD99;
}

h3 {
margin-bottom:0;
}  

</style>

<body>

<h3>Spoiler [hover mouse below]</h3>
			<div id="spoiler"><a href="#">peek-a-boo</a></div>

</body>
</html>
This is a case of IE not recognising #spoiler:hover if there is not a previous a:hover rule! So I added <a>tags assuming that it should reference itself and then added a "parent" a:hover.

Sorry a complete and utter hack but it works :wink:
Jerry

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

Hi Jerry

Yes that now works with both IE9 and FF5.

Interesting that it produces very different results on screen. FF5 produces a box the size of the text revealed but displaced a couple of px up into the spoiler hint box. IE9 produces a box the same length as the spoiler hint box and located correctly below it.

Whilst my experience of website design is small (2 reasonably simple websites) I've already come across display oddities particularly with IE, which until the latest version was somewhat cavalier with html standards.

I'm going to work more on your code over the weekend to see if I can solve the differences and create formatting to suit my website. For my current purposes, using hover is more elegant and easier than the alternative. (If I solve the display differences between IE9 and FF5 I'll post the solution for others to see.)

Regards
David

:scratch: Edited: Forgot there should be a doctype. Adding this made IE appear just like FF.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Try this for starters:

h3 {
<!--margin-bottom:0;-->
}  
Jerry