First web site

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

First web site

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Well, I'm a bit naive about setting up a web-site so am hoping for a little guidance..

I registered with a free hosting service with awardspace.net. I tried to upload the first few of my pages but failed, presumably because I haven't
a domain name - I was hoping the host would just offer a temporary/free domain?!
So I registered for a free domain name at a site http://www.co.cc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - andygsw.co.cc - and tried to register this with awardspace. It tells me that the domain name
is available (at a cost) - but I've already registered the name (I think?). What am I missing, please?

(I'm reluctant to pay for a domain at this stage, as I simply want to publish a small site for a short term.)

If there is another hosting or domain site that you might recommend I would be pleased to hear.

Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: First web site

Post by stuck »

I'm equally naive about domain hosting but I think you might have to transfer your free .co.cc domain to awardspace before it is available to you at awardspace. Does this page help:
http://www.awardspace.com/domain-names/transfer-domain

Ken

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Aaargh! This is annoying :sad:

I tried to transfer my .cc domain name but awardspace want money to transfer it - but I obtained it because it was free..

I appeared to have a 'kinda' default domain with awardspace so I created a sub-domain '/home/www/andygsw.onlinewebshop.net'
and was able to upload files to it using their ftp service. But I can't then open the site: tried andygsw.onlinewebshop.net (with
and without www.) - no joy!

This shouldn't be so difficult! Any advice appreciated, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

DollyP
Lounger

Post by DollyP »

As far as I am aware there is no such thing as a free domain, certainly not within the regular .co.uk, .com and suchlike domains. Many popular hosting services offer 'free' domain names but this is because they cover the initial cost of registering the name from the domain registrar. There will almost always be a charge every subsequent year/2 years together with a monthly/annual fee for domain hosting.Most likely you are being charged a fee for transferring your domain to cover the hoster's initial charges and costs.

My own, ClaraNet, charges me an annual fee of around £30 that includes annual domain reregistering. I got my own domain so that I could have individual email addresses rather than gmail hotmail etc.

I have no information about the .cc domain except it is for the Cocos Islands off Australia. Sometimes these odd top level domains are much more expensive than others, e.g. the .tv (Tuovalu) domain is seriously big business expensive (or was when I last tried a couple of years ago).

Try the likes of 123-reg, 1&1 or FastHosts and think about having you own permanent domain. It will not be free but could be low cost.

Regards
David

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Umm... if this is to be believed .co.cc addresses are to be avoided:
http://www.techspot.com/news/44622-goog ... lware.html

Ken

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

I agree with DollyP.
I have been looking after our walking club website for some years.
We are registered with 123-reg which costs £7.90 for two years.
The website is actually in my (free) webspace and 123-reg provides the 'home' for the first page (which provides entry to the website proper) and when one of these links is clicked, transfers to pages on my webspace. 123-reg also provides email forwarding, so people can email a walking club email address but it actually delivers to a committee member's personal email.

It's been troublefree for years and works reliably.

Silverback

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

silverback wrote:We are registered with 123-reg which costs £7.90 for two years.
The website is actually in my (free) webspace and 123-reg provides the 'home' for the first page (which provides entry to the website proper) and when one of these links is clicked, transfers to pages on my webspace. 123-reg also provides email forwarding, so people can email a walking club email address but it actually delivers to a committee member's personal email.

It's been troublefree for years and works reliably.

Silverback
Thank you. I might give them a bash :smile: . Andy.

Becks
2StarLounger

Post by Becks »

There are true, free web hosts out there. The swimming club for which I'm the de-facto webmaster uses the Webs site (40 MB host space, FTP single file uploads only) while my spouse uses a host site called Weebly.
The swimming club has its own purchased .org domain name which is directed to the Webs site. Webs does offer domain names that incorporate their host name as part of the url. For the most basic (ie totally free) package, the website comes with Webs-sponsored advertising, but it's not too intrusive.
My spouse's website has the url of http://www.wigglywoo.weebly.com

Kevin

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

My spouse's website has the url of http://www.wigglywoo.weebly.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is NOT a domain, but a subdomain and there is NO ICCAN registration for a subdomain. The "Domain" (weebly.com) owner has control of the subdomain entries.

With my website hosted at 1and1.com, I have either 500 or "Unlimited" number of "subdomain's", I can not remember which it is.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living