Restrict viewable files

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Restrict viewable files

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I’m still really new to setting up websites, but I have a question regarding viewable files attached to my website. I have a few PDF files that can be viewed from my website, while some others are restricted. What I noticed was when I did a Google search using my website name it would come back with a few hits on different pages of my website that refer to different files that are not restricted, that parts OK, but I noticed when I only remove the file name

Before

http://www.mywebsite.net/files/Program_Guide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After

http://www.mywebsite.net/files/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that it would then open to a webpage labeled
Index of files, with a list of all files new and old
From there I can view any and all files with no restriction.
Is this only viewable from my computer or is this viewable to all.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Re: Restrict viewable files

Post by agibsonsw »

I believe you need to store files one folder up in the hierarchy to make them inaccessible. That is, one folder up from your root directory.
If not they remain accessible. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

I understand that makes since. But how do I remove the already uploaded files so that they will no longer are accessible at the present location. The reason why I ask is I noticed that there are some old files on this list that I thought were deleted.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

ABabeNChrist wrote:...how do I remove the already uploaded files so that they will no longer are accessible at the present location...
How do you currently upload files to your web site?
It is likely that you use ftp, in which case you can install any ftp client, enter the servername, username and password of your account on the web server and then delete the files.
StuartR

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

StuartR wrote:How do you currently upload files to your web site?
It is likely that you use ftp, in which case you can install any ftp client, enter the servername, username and password of your account on the web server and then delete the files.
I use Yahoo Sitebuilder to design and upload my files. I made the suggested changes that agibsonsw mentioned but still have old previous files still available from web. They are no longer available inside my files folder that once held them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Yahoo sitebuilder. Do they provide you with credentials for accessing the site via ftp?
StuartR

ABabeNChrist
SilverLounger

Post by ABabeNChrist »

While patiently waiting on the phone for at least an hour or 2 cups of Java, just so that I could speak with Yahoo customer service representative. I was then instructed to log in on my business account and there on the main page I was to select “Web hosting control panel” then select “Manage” then “File Manager” Which of course gave a view of all files that are attached to my site.

Since I’m new with web designing and set up this file manager page was loaded with so many unwanted files. But the happy side to this story is I was able to purge my website of these unwanted files and return it back to that happy place.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks for posting back with the resolution.
Best wishes,
Hans