Generating Tags

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Generating Tags

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
On many sites they have a panel of 'Tags' or keywords which are links to a search on the keyword. Sometimes they are followed by numbers (24) and
sometimes they are in different sized text. Amazon even allows you to create your own tags.
I have asked concerning these before and it appears they are plain HTML links or they use some Javascript. But are they auto-generated somehow? Or does the
page designer update them manually?
Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Generating Tags

Post by HansV »

See Tag cloud on Wikipedia.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. Wikipedia didn't explain how to create them but just knowing the proper term 'tag cloud' helped me to find more information.

I'm not saying they are great.. in fact a quote from the original creater on the Wikipedia page is 'sorry about the tag clouds' lol. Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Near the end of the article, there is a link to Wordle - Beautiful Word Clouds.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I saw that link and looked at it. There are tools that can create tag clouds but I was more interested in how it was achieved.

I found a site http://www.roscripts.com/Create_tag_cloud-71.html with a PHP function to generate a tag cloud, based on an array
of text, value pairs. I assume that sites would also store search terms and then feed them into such a function to automatically generate
the tag cloud.

It seems that 'cloud' is the new word of this computer age :fanfare: Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

:cloud9:
Best wishes,
Hans

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

Andy
There are other methods of doing this, one way I was playing with was storing the tag words in the form of eXtensible Markup Language (XML) and transforming it using XSLT. The XSLT can count the number of times a word appears and then using that calculated value to be a new parameter for a font size.

I had a very rough working model that utilised CSS
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

I assume the raw data format would determine the approach. It could be a single column of repeating tags, two columns containing
the tags and their count, or just a large text file.
A large text file would prove quite complicated I suppose because you would have to parse it to find repeated phrases rather than just single words?
Wouldn't that then be similar to what an indexer application (for a book) does? Andy.

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Here is a link that can help generate it for you with FAQ.