threatening letter regarding the use of the word "Entreprene

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

threatening letter regarding the use of the word "Entreprene

Post by ChrisGreaves »

http://www.tvemagazine.com/(Not one of my sites)
5.JPG
What does one do when one receives a threatening letter regarding the use of the word "Entrepreneur"?
I am puzzled because I am an Entrepreneur, I meet with Entrepreneurs, we discuss Entrepreneurism(?) and many of us, quite naturally, use the word Entrepreneur on our various web pages, blogs etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

Goshute
3StarLounger

Re: threatening letter regarding the use of the word "Entreprene

Post by Goshute »

This kind of copyrighting of common terms is offensive. Legal counsel should advise, but because it's a commonly used business term, it can be argued that it can't be commandeered. (I wonder, do Fortune magazine, Soldier of Fortune magazine, and Wheel of Fortune television show periodically threaten each other with infringement suits? Perhaps I should trademark the word "interface".)

You could also determine if the entrepreneur.com name predates the virtualentrepreneur magazine. And either way make them buy the rights to the name or threaten a suit (just don't pursue very far if you'll lose).

And Virtual Professional sounds like a reasonable alternative.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Sadly it seems that a previous President of the US didn't say that "The problem with the French is that they have no word for entrepreneur..."
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:What does one do when one receives a threatening letter regarding the use of the word "Entrepreneur"?
Refer them to the dictionary?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Goshute wrote:This kind of copyrighting of common terms is offensive.
I think so too. I often post here and include a trademark(TM) symbol(TM) against any sort of word that I think I'd like to lay claim to, just to poke fun at the lawyers(TM).
It is hard to imagine a court(TM) upholding any such claim against a word in a common dictionary(TM).
I have a pal here in Toronto(TM) who received a threatening letter(TM) from Australia(TM). Pal's sister is/was a lawyer. End result, acting on her advice, my pal dropped his web site, lost the impact of the print-advertising he had done over the years, the goodwill(TM), the work building the web site etc. etc.

I rather suspect this sort of thing is a shakedown(TM), a mechanism(TM) whereby a lawyer can shake $(TM)1,000 out of each person and make a handy profit just by threats.

(edited(TM) to lay down a few more trademarks)
Last edited by ChrisGreaves on 20 Jun 2010, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:Sadly it seems that a previous President of the US didn't say that "The problem with the French is that they have no word for entrepreneur..."
He should have used a Synanym(TM).
(I was going to say Sinnamon, but I thought that noone would get the bun)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Goshute wrote:This kind of copyrighting of common terms is offensive.
So, then is Rupert Murdoch!