Display cell from Excel in Web Page

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Display cell from Excel in Web Page

Post by JimmyC »

I am working on designing a web page (i.e. web pages are for an internal intranet web site) for each attorney at the Firm (i.e. there will be 50 web pages when I finish). On each attorney web page, I have a text box that states "Current Month Billable Hours". I would then like to display her current month billable hours at the end of this statement. I need to do this with other performance metrics too (i.e. fees collected, working fees, etc.).

As of now, I have an Excel workbook with a single worksheet (version 2010) that is updated each work night (i.e., workbook is created from Crystal Reports) and has the attorney names in column A and then the performance information in Columns B through F. I have the attorney last names in Column A sorted by alphabetically. Is there a way for me to query from the web page to the Excel worksheet to find, for example, attorney Smith in Column A and then bring the value in the cell in Column B to the web page (i.e. Column B has the current month billable hours in it). As I noted, I will "repeat" this processes for 5 other performance variables on each attorney's web page--and display the value in Columns C, D, E, F and G separately next to appropriate text boxes that contain a description.

I just can't seem to find anything searching the web to tell me if this is even possible. Crystal Reports could produce a CSV file instead of an Excel worksheet if that helps. Again, I don't want to convert the entire worksheet to HTML but merely provide the attorney last name to match in Column A and then pull the cell value in Column B, C, D, E, F or G---depending on the performance variable I want to display on the attorney webpage.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated as 6 hours of googling and reading has not provided any workable solution---which makes me wonder if this is even possible. Thanks for your advice. JimC

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Re: Display cell from Excel in Web Page

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I am unable to offer any assistance other than suggesting you look at this site (may be you found it in your search?):

http://www.homepagedoctor.com/ -- Database Tutorials

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Malcolm,
Thanks for the reply---yes, I did see this site. It truly looks like that there is not a way to display EXCEL cell data on a webpage. Thanks again,
JimC

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If I remember when I'm back at work tomorrow I'll ask my friendly local geek about this but I suspect if there was a way to pass Excel data to a web page he'd have mentioned it by now.

In my limited experience the way to populate a web page is from a database, e.g using PHP and MySQL.

Ken

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Ken---thank you. JimC

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

JimmyC wrote:Malcolm,
Thanks for the reply---yes, I did see this site. It truly looks like that there is not a way to display EXCEL cell data on a webpage. Thanks again,
JimC
Having had a conversation with my guru it would appear necessary to have a database on the same server as the Intranet and transfer/upload the data to be displayed from the worksheet to the database and then from there to the Web page.

JimmyC
3StarLounger

Post by JimmyC »

Malcolm,
Thanks for the additional information. Yes, it seems that a database using sql is the only way to display the dynamic data--Since I only need 6 data items per attorney it sure seems like "overkill" to use a database---which is why I thought an Excel sheet would be perfect. I am now researching to determine if I can create a "dynamic" table---where the table pulls the 6 data items instead of displaying the 6 data items individually on the page. JimC