Problems with MSE

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Problems with MSE

Post by Gloria E »

A dear friend has asked for help with a problem with Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems it keeps shutting down on his XP Home PC. I didn't know the answer but I assured him that I would ask someplace where I get all my assistance with problems I can't solve alone. :grin:

So, I'm asking if anyone knows what causes that problem and how to fix it?

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Problems with MSE

Post by Bigaldoc »

I think we need more info on this one, Gloria. Any error msgs or any other info that would help identify what's "seen" when it shuts down would help. Not enuf here to go on...

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Gloria E wrote:A dear friend has asked for help with a problem with Microsoft Security Essentials. It seems it keeps shutting down on his XP Home PC. I didn't know the answer but I assured him that I would ask someplace where I get all my assistance with problems I can't solve alone. So, I'm asking if anyone knows what causes that problem and how to fix it? Gloria E
May I suggest a comprehensive anti-virus scan. Windows Defender stopped working as did the auto-updating of the anti-virus programme on my computers. I found they both had virus infections (18 instances of JS/Phish and 3 instances of Trojan horse Generic_r.IB on my main computer).

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Gloria, I believe, that not every program, although compatible with the operating system in question, will perform correctly. Every pc is differently set. I would advise changing it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Bigaldoc wrote:I think we need more info on this one, Gloria. Any error msgs or any other info that would help identify what's "seen" when it shuts down would help. Not enuf here to go on...
Here is the information received from my friend:

There are two error messages. When I try to update, I get "Error code: 0x800106ba" and Error description: Security Essentials couldn't install the definition updates. Please try again later." The MSE windows is red but after he clicks "OK", the window turns green and it says the definitions have been updated.

He continued with the full scan, which aborts after about an hour with the following message: Error code: 0x800106bba. This time the description is "This program's service has stopped".

His PC is a Compaq Presario 6000 with 2 gigs of ram. His Operating System is XP Home with SP3 with all patches and updates. Malwarebytes, Avast, SFC/ scannow and MSEfixer have been run. They have been run both in and out of Safe Mode. MSE has been uninstalled reinstalled several times. All traces of previous anti-malware software have been removed. (AVG, Avast, etc).

After researching his issue, he reports that he has found many people with the similar issues with MSE.

That's the end of his report.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I'm in agreement with Roderunner in the other post
That's the reason why I dumped MSE. It ran with the OS but interfered with some of my installed utilities.
It's just a matter of the slight differences in each system. Some fine, some NG.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

viking33 wrote:I'm in agreement with Roderunner in the other post
That's the reason why I dumped MSE. It ran with the OS but interfered with some of my installed utilities.
It's just a matter of the slight differences in each system. Some fine, some NG.
From what I understand, MSE's not interfering with any other program, the problem's within the program itself.