Adware:Win32/Hotbar, Audacity & MSE

RonH
SilverLounger

Adware:Win32/Hotbar, Audacity & MSE

Post by RonH »

On Jul 21, 2011 05:35 AM UTC, an update to Microsoft Security Elements caused a temporary file related to the next Microsoft definition update to be incorrectly detected as Adware:Win32/Hotbar. At 08:51 PM UTC, Microsoft released a new signature to address the issue. Signature versions 1.109.92.0 and higher include this fix.

However the detailed description goes on to say:
Users may be lured to a cybersquatting website, such as those seen below, where software bundled with Adware:Win32/Hotbar may be available for download. We have observed Adware:Win32/Hotbar being bundled with the following software:
•Audacity
•7zip
•Frets on Fire
•ARES 2010 Version
•OpenOffice
•eMule
•Easy Video
•Lime Wire

For each website that a user visits, Hotbar may collect information such as originating and current URLs (web-usage paths), user-entered search terms and demographic data, Hotbar button clicks, link clicks, and client-computer IP address, and Hotbar cookie ID. Hotbar may also collect personally identifiable information, such as data obtained during user registration processes at third-party websites.

Given that I/we use 'Audacity' and MS state that this adware has been bundled with it, should we be concerned :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Adware:Win32/Hotbar, Audacity & MSE

Post by HansV »

The article on Win32/Hotbar mentions that the Hotbar toolbar is bundled with those programs if you download them from a fake download site, not if you download them from the official sites for those programs.

Audacity, for example, should be obtained from the official Audacity website http://audacity.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you got it from there, you have nothing to fear.

And (apart from the glitch that you mention), MSE protects against Win32/Hotbar.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote: ...that the Hotbar toolbar is bundled with those programs if you download them from a fake download site, not if you download them from the official sites for those programs.

Audacity, for example, should be obtained from the official Audacity website http://audacity.sourceforge.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. If you got it from there, you have nothing to fear.

And (apart from the glitch that you mention), MSE protects against Win32/Hotbar.
Thanks Hans though the MS report actually states ... Users may be lured to a cybersquatting website, such as those seen below, where software bundled with Adware:Win32/Hotbar may be available for download This can be confusing (to me!) because there are some softwares that cannot downloaded from official sites ... you are routed to xyz web pages.

With regard to Audacity, I did download from their site ... which is what I always do given the possibility.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft shows pictures of malicious and legitimate download sites side by side. The phrase "such as those seen below" could be interpreted as applying to both, but I don't think that was their intention.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Good advice Hans ... learn something every day even when I'm retired!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.