Shadow Protect vs. Macrium Reflect

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Shadow Protect vs. Macrium Reflect

Post by Bigaldoc »

In my recent thread (A Problem With Easeus ToDo Backup) I discussed installing Macrium Reflect on the laptop of a friend that I was rejuvenating. Everything went fine on her machine and I'm hopeful that she will follow my tutorial to backup on a regular basis.

Since Saturday afternoon is MY weekly full image backup, I decided to follow my Shadow Protect backup with a Macrium backup of one of my three partitions just to get a time and file size comparison. I backed up a partition with 40,994 gig in both cases to an external USB drive as I usually do.

The two backups took 28½ minutes for SP and 27¼ minutes for Macrium so I don't see any plus or minus as far as backup time is concerned. Both images were similar in size, 28,073 for SP and 28,133 for Macrium so I don't see anything to hoorah about there either.

I have "mounted" the Macrium image to make sure I could see the files and that too is OK. I have NOT tried a restore but since it DID work on my friend's laptop from the emergency CD, I wouldn't anticipate that to be a problem.

The bottom line reason I make this post is to encourage any "reluctant" users to get a backup imaging program and if you're not willing to buy a commercial product, I see no reason NOT to recommend Macrium Reflect.

wasbit
2StarLounger

Re: Shadow Protect vs. Macrium Reflect

Post by wasbit »

I'm hopeful that she will follow my tutorial to backup on a regular basis.
I'm surprised you didn't set up a scheduled backup for her unless of course you wanted her to learn how to do it on her own from your instructions.
The bottom line reason I make this post is to encourage any "reluctant" users to get a backup imaging program and if you're not willing to buy a commercial product, I see no reason NOT to recommend Macrium Reflect.
I'll second that.
Regards
wasbit

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Shadow Protect vs. Macrium Reflect

Post by Bigaldoc »

I didn't set a scheduled backup because the laptop is only turned on periodically by my friend or one of her two teen kids.

And yes, I did have a slight "secondary" motive of encouraging HER to get into the "habit" of backing up. I made it as simple as I could for her with a Macrium XML script so all she has to do is select the job and execute.