Configure router not to respond to PING requests

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Re: Configure router not to respond to PING requests

Post by Hey Jude »

I read further and don't have any intention of having to set up the router again, so I'll leave well enough alone :-) Thanks for all of your help. I've learned a ton, and have alot more questions, but for now I'm ok with it.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hey Jude wrote:...what settings would be changed in the router? ...
If you look in the fine user manual then you will see that the settings include Wireless SSID and password, IP address, DHCP configuration and many more. See http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54G for more information.
StuartR

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

I just re-read everything that has been posted and I do so appreciate the thoroughness and thoughtfulness of the responses from my heroes :-) As I started delving into this issue, I realized that once the router was initially set up, I never bothered to fool with it and it's always given me dependable internet access. Appreciate your time and will continue to bother you with issues as they arise :-) I believe I will update the firmware though as I'm sure that hasn't been done in over a year and a half :-( Thanks again :-)

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

You're welcome.

One can summarise the discussion saying what Hans did in the beginning: it's not that important. :smile:

However, most routers nowadays have it as their default setting; apparently some disable the setting if they play games, or perhaps use some kind of P2P software; we shouldn’t need to block ICMP traffic, but since it has been abused it has become more or less norm to drop it, not respond.

Remember that if you later on decide to update the firmware, you will have to set up the router again, not that difficult since one usually only change a few settings; but many routers can save the settings to a file that you can load after you have updated/reset the router; but that's another topic.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

That's exactly what happened last night. I went ahead and updated the firmware by following each direction to the "t" and d/l the firmware upgrade .bin file and then installed that, and then had to reset router and then I installed the config.bin file after hitting the restore and it all worked greatly. I was so shocked :clapping: I spent considerable time on here last night typing out a response to everything I had done, but somehow this morning I don't see it so I'll post the image again showing that I did manage to access the Linksys gateway and checked all the settings out which I don't ever remember seeing since it was set up initially.
Linksys Security screen.png
I kept at this because it was important that I access the gateway and after spending alot of time picking brains, reading and trial and error, I achieved satisfaction. Everything works as it should and I do so appreciate yours Hans and Stuart's pages and advice. I learned a great deal and have tons to learn, but will just take it a step at a time and when an issue arises, I will tackle it until I achieve resolution.

I do remember a friend impressing upon me the importance of writing the ID/PW of the router and taping it to the bottom of the router. I hadn't done that (but did keep the paper with my Verizon set-up papers). There was confusion with the Westell modem ID/PW and the Linksys router ID/PW so putting in the Westell ID/PW took me to the Westell gateway instead of the Linksys. Once I put in the Linksys ID/PW then I was able to access the Linksys gateway and that really was a HUGE relief! At any rate, I learned a ton and will continue to learn and read and even if it's just for my own edification, I will profit :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

On my post last night I asked about the "Filter Internet NAT Redirection" and wasn't sure what that meant or if it should be checked.....

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Hey Jude wrote:On my post last night I asked about the "Filter Internet NAT Redirection" and wasn't sure what that meant or if it should be checked.....
I have just read what this setting means on this page and if you have no local servers I don't think the setting will make any difference at all.
StuartR

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks, it doesn't apply to my situation as you surmised :-)