MSE questions Windows validatiion

ChrisJakarta
StarLounger

MSE questions Windows validatiion

Post by ChrisJakarta »

A heads up in case others encounter this problem. I was attempting to install MSE on an oldish notebook, but kept getting a dialog box telling me that "Windows did not pass genuine validation", and requiring me to click a "Go online and resolve now" button. When I did this, IE started up and started to validate, but after a few moments left me with a totally blank page.

Finally I realized what I should have noticed before: the date/time on the computer had reset itself to 2002, I guess because it had not been used for some time. Corrected this, and MSE installed with no problems.

Not sure why an incorrect date should cause Windows to think it was not genuine, but...

Interestingly I have occasionally encountered this same dialog box when starting another notebook where the date is not a problem. I feared that this was some form of malware, and rebooted without clicking the button; this always seems to correct the problem, whatever it is.

Funny things, computers!

Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: MSE questions Windows validatiion

Post by Argus »

If one has MS WGA plugins for the browser, this page at MS will check that everything is OK; script, date & time, cookies, that the plugin is loaded and that it can connect etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag/default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:jollyroger:
This reminds me about an issue that I thought about posting in the Fx forum to see if anyone else has seen this; the latest WGA plugin for Fx from MS doesn't seem to work with the 3.6 branch of the browser, though MS are not aware of any problem it seems; at least I and some other people have problems using it.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/g ... 90b379ea10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

{/jollyroger]
And yes, correct date & time is important for a lot of things, it seems. :smile:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.