cheese lizard

Online Security update (scam)

Post by Claude »

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, 27 November 2010 18:39
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Online Security Update

Dear NedBank Customer,

Due to the high circulation of the latest Internet Banking scam going on, our Internet Banking Unit has developed an Online Security Program to protect your account from fraudulent activities and online phishing.

In other for this program to be activated in your account, you are advised to download the attached file and follow the instructions.

We require you to bear with us online for 2minutes as the Reference Number that will be sent to you will be required in other to finish the Security Program Activation.

Note: If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this action may have caused.

Regards

Internet Banking Unit
NedBank
needless to say I didn't open the attachment, The interesting part on this one is In other

Sad to think that people fall for this kinda stuff :sad:
Cheers, Claude.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Online Security update (scam)

Post by HansV »

It's easier where I live - the scammers use Google Translate or something similar to translate their message into Dutch, and the result is usually incomprehensible... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

I think I got that one recently too, Claude. Yeah, almost all of this crap doesn't use English properly. In my case, MailWasher Pro catches just about all of 'em. They make me nervous about coming anywhere near my hard drive, so I'm glad to have MW delete 'em while still on my ISP's server.

Yesterday, I got one that looked like an advert for something or other and I was gonna "preview" it for curiosity. When MW tried to display a bit more in the preview window, AVAST blocked it with a warning popup.

Lordy, I feel so badly for "innocent" folks who have "unprotected internet."

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Claude wrote:
If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporarily suspend your account.
Surely no scammer would split an infinitive?!

And is there really a "Nedbank"? Named after Ned Kelly, maybe?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Speaking of the English language, here a doctored shot of a MailWasher Pro preview screen just a few minutes ago. Now who in their right mind would fall for a message like this? Unless it does something malicious as soon as it's downloaded to your hard drive. I'm not technical enough to be able to tell. (The "To" address was partially correct but I covered it up anyway.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

I can't even guess what an "inner massgist' is, so I couldn't say if you were the best one of these!
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

John Gray wrote:I can't even guess what an "inner massgist' is, so I couldn't say if you were the best one of these!
inner massgist are becoming more widespread :grin:
Cheers, Claude.