windows firewall blocking some Internet Explorer connection?

jaystarter
3StarLounger

windows firewall blocking some Internet Explorer connection?

Post by jaystarter »

When I visit some sites using IE8 on Vista home - the places where you can have instant chat to ask a question about a product with a firms representative - the chat window opens seperatly usually using flash, I'm sure you know the sort of thing..,..I can initiate a chat session OK but if the rep at the other end logs off and tries to call me back using the instant chat internet explorer locks up, the screen fades to be greyed out and I have to close IE (internet explorer is not responding) to use the computer at all. I've tried disabling add ons and updated flash to no avail. Looking in the advanced windows firewall settings (I love poking around in windows settings but rarely understand what they mean so never change anything!) I see a couple of instances where Internet explorer is blocked and wondered if this should be changed to allow? Can anyone advice on this please? Oh....using firefox seems to be ok so it must be something to do with IE
screen shots hopefully will explain better:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: windows firewall blocking some Internet Explorer connect

Post by HansV »

The blocking of Internet Explorer is standard; it doesn't interfere with normal browsing. I think you'll have to open a port for incoming traffic - perhaps the company can tell you which one. (You'd have to create a new Inbound Rule).
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Re: windows firewall blocking some Internet Explorer connect

Post by jaystarter »

HansV wrote:The blocking of Internet Explorer is standard; it doesn't interfere with normal browsing. I think you'll have to open a port for incoming traffic - perhaps the company can tell you which one. (You'd have to create a new Inbound Rule).
Hans, Thats strange, but as it's only an occassional thing I will leave things alone. Funnily enough if I use my other computer running XP home there isnt a problem, the windows firewall interface is different on that though so cant see the same "advanced options" thanks for your reply.
Jeff