Malware warning- true result?

curious
3StarLounger

Malware warning- true result?

Post by curious »

Hello -

Suddenly, in last few days, when in Firefox and I go to associatedsupermarkets.com Avast warns me “Malware blocked.” Is there any way to determine if this is a true reading? (When I go to that site in IE, I get ‘the page cannot be displayed.”)

Thank you.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Malware warning- true result?

Post by HansV »

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and don't get a warning. I can visit the site without problems using Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6.9:
x340.png
It looks to me you got a false alarm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thank you, Hans.

I was running Firefox 3.6.8 so downloaded 3.6.9 and still have the popup. There doesn't seem a way to override that warning. True?

Curious

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

I have the same AVG warning.
Goshute
I float in liquid gardens

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thanks for that info, Goshute.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials and don't get a warning. I can visit the site without problems using Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6.9:
Ditto to Han's results. I am on my XP desktop now which uses Avast and I got this
http://screencast.com/t/ODIyYmE0O however, after displaying the warning, the page opened because Avast blocked 1 item from being d/l. I got the same result when I used Internet Explorer 8 as well. Going back to my laptop with Win 7 and Microsoft Security Essentials, there is no problem.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I visited the site with FF 3.6.9 and Avira Free AV running, nothing. I then ran a Malwarebytes 'quickscan', again nothing.

Ken

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

I checked the site at http://stopbadware.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (they have a database of sites that have reported malware on them) and there were no reports of any malware for associatedsupermarkets.com
Tony

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

That is interesting...but I cannot get on the site. IS there a way to override the Avast pop-up warning to get into the site?

Thanks.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Replicated the result with Avast and Fx 3.6.9. The Avast pop-up referenced a script file but there were no real details that I could discern.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

curious wrote:IS there a way to override the Avast pop-up warning to get into the site?
If you want to risk it, try this: right click the Avast systray icon, open the User Interface, click on Real-time Shields, Web Shield, and click the Stop button in that screen. Remember to turn it back on when associatedfoods.com gets done with you. :grin:
Goshute

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thanks Goshute. Was wondering about doing that. Still am. Since others did not receive a warning, I am tempted....

Goshute
3StarLounger

Post by Goshute »

curious wrote:Since others did not receive a warning, I am tempted....
I tried it. MalwareBytes found nothing after I exited the site and closed the browser.
Goshute

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

curious wrote:Thanks Goshute. Was wondering about doing that. Still am. Since others did not receive a warning, I am tempted....
I just finished dueling with the deamons there and reall think it is a false alarm.

I first got the warning about a script and told Avast to put it in the chest, but it persisted, so I chose to ignore the warning and it went to the site and immediately lit up a Trojan. I think it's just an ad with a handle on it. Nothing I worry about. But opinions vary.
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

curious
3StarLounger

Post by curious »

Thank you, too, Doc.